1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$36 Fisher Halogen Headlight Upgrade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timmy1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I have MM1 Headgear w/ MM2 blade and A-Frame. Kind of a Hybrid.

I was sick of those old, cloudy, dim lights. They want big bucks for those Intensifire lights so I took a bulb with me to the local auto store.

Turns out a set of H6545BL is the 50% brighter halogen version of the H4651 or H4666. It's a sealed beam so it's an easy swap. $18 a piece

2. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

nice find. I'll have to check that out!

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Potential problem is the replacement sealed beam is GLASS, the Fisher is plastic. Headlights produce lots of heat, which is why the snow melts off them so fast from spray- now take a hot piece of glass, spray it with snow (ice water) and there is a major potential for cracking.

They sell replacement units that replace a sealed beam with a newer bulb setup, usually H4 or 9004 bulbs (I run one in my motorcycle), which I have been leary of for the exact same reason.

DO report back to us how they work for you, if you have no problems many of us will probably follow suit!

4. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

wait, what? the older style fisher headlights are glass, and this replacement is also glass.
    glass headlights are designed so they don't crack under temperature differences like that.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

How old are you talking for Glass from Fisher? My 86 Dump has Glass sealed beams, but my 96 dodge has the plastic, small size sealed beams- stock lights.

The old Fishers (speedcast era) when they used the huge 6x9 ish sealed beams were heavy glass, but I have seen them crack from cold water spray. Albeight not often, but I have seen it. Not too sure how strong the glass is is a conversion bulb setup.

Come to think about it, I suppose it can;t be too bad as the conversion set has had no issues in our jeep in 4 winters.

6. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

i've got a 8' Fisher MM2, 4 or so yrs old. that's a glass sealed headlight in there.

7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

All my headlights are sealed beam glass (Blizzard) and always have been, Artic, Meyer, any that I have had. Never seen one crack in 17 years of plowing.

8. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

No cracks so far, and a hell of a lot brighter!

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

So, glass conversions for me this week!