1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

35's okay to plow with

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BlueRam2500, May 1, 2006.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Any of you guys plow with 35' or larger tires? I am trying to figure if I can just leave my 35's on with the plow or switch to smaller tires.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i take my 35 off in the winter. it changes the angle of the plow to ground and
    their only 8ply tires
    john

3. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

I had a set of BFGoodrich All Terrains (315s=35"s) on my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 and absolutely loved them for plowing. Had great traction and never found real problems. I usually had a half pallet of salt in the bed and sometimes didnt even need 4 wheel drive. THe only problem i had was the weight of the plow and turning at full lock. SOmetimes the tires rubbed on the sway bar but nothing major. They never left me stranded

4. BlueRam2500

Emerscape, what size and type was your plow? Did the larger tires affect the angle of the blade too much? Thanks for the response.

5. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

I had a 8 foot Boss Super Duty Trip on my truck. I had the plow installed after I had the 35"s on it so I'm note sure about the anglebut it didn't look like any different than a stock. 35"s only raised my truck a couple inches so I didn't think it would be a problem. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64438 . A couple pictures of my truck without the plow.

6. BlueRam2500

Looks like you also have a lift or timbrens in the front. Your truck's look resembles mine almost to the "T." Thank you for your help. I am getting the plow put on in a few weeks, so I will check it out first hand. If the angle is bad, than no big deal because I will just put a set of stockers on the truck. Thanks again for your help.

7. BlueRam2500

Not sure if this matters, but I am getting a Western UltraMount Pro Plus 8' blade. Shop says that the only thing I would have to worry about is the plow digging into cracks in the ground. I will post pics of it as soon as I get it.

8. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

whatever you do make sure u get a trip edge and not a full trip. a full trip sucks because it will trip on a little bit of ice. A trip edge will take a lot more to trip but wont hurt your truck. i Would look around before purchasing a western but if you have your heart set on it go for it

9. BlueRam2500

I like the full trip blade. I plowed 2 seasons ago with a Western on a Chevy pickup and it did great. Only tripped once and that was on a raised manhole cover. Other than that it did great. I did research around before I got the Western, believe me. I wanted to make sure I was spending a lot of money on the right thing. I wasn't too impressed with the Fisher and I definetly did not want a Meyer. Most of the guys I know that do strictly commercial plowing use Western and have never had a problem. I do appreciate your advice. I will take lots of pics when I get it.

10. BlueRam2500

Got the plow installed yesterday and it looks great. Didn't have any problems turning with the plow raised. Angle is not bad at all, it looks almost like a stock truck with a set of timbrens on. Dealer says I will not have any problems plowing with the 35's. I will try to get some pics of it as soon as there is a nice day here.