1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

351 vs 460 Fuel consumption???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by HALH VT, Nov 25, 2010.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

If I can get the owner to agree on price I will be picking up a '94 F-250 next week. My previous experience has been with older 351M engines with carburetors, and a 318 Dodge likewise.

How much more gas will the 94 use, with the 460 and EFI?? Similar trucks, similar equipment, automatic trans, same plows, (eight foot Fisher conventional), comparable weight and ballast.

Am I looking at a measurable increase? How much, 5%, 10%, or something really scary, like half again as much?

On another topic, I will be putting a sander on it. Will that use more or less gas than plowing? I will have to haul each load about five or six miles, with a 600 foot rise over about half a mile of that. With the Dodge I am right down in low, and fighting it all the way up that hill. I expect the 460 will be an improvement over that, and maybe actually use less fuel, because it won't take as many trips if I can load it a little heavier. It is not worth it to me to get sand delivered with a big truck and keep it on site, as a small pile will freeze up solid unless you can keep it absolutely dry.

2. eludemann

eludemann Member

I don't have a plow yet, but my 97 250 4x4 gets 11mpg empty or pulling a trailer. That's with 134,000 miles. I'm sure with the full weight of the sander it will be a little less.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

they are both pigs. under the same driving conditions, the 351 will get 1-2mpg's more. except under heavy towing where the 460 may actually do better as it doesn't have to work as hard. but for all practical purposes, the difference is negligible.

4. accu-cut lawn

accu-cut lawn Junior Member

Equally bad. The 460 may perform a bit better on mpg's if you use a very light right foot. The 351 is going to have to work!