1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

351 to 4speed

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mud_man93, Dec 20, 2002.

1. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

I have a bell housing question. I have a 79 351w with a automatic behind it. Iam not sure which one it has? I also have a 390 with a 4speed behind it. Can i just bolt the 4 speed up to the 351 or is the bell housing different? Would i need to get a different bell housing. Will the same clutch work also since the 390 with 4 speedf has a brand new clutch?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm pretty sure the mounts are different, I think the only engines that share the same mount as the 351W are the 302 and the 300 six. A few years ago, I could tell you for certain, as I was making a swap myself, but it's been a while since I've played with them.

3. Ground Master

Ground Master Junior Member

pelican is right, you need to find a tranny that was mounted on a 351w, 302, or 300.

4. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

do i need a tranny or just the bellhousing?

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You'll need the bell housing, flywheel and clutch assembly, I think the transmission may bolt on, but I'm not sure. Those engines are from two different eras, there may have been a redesign in between.

Check the input spline on the tranny with your clutch disc, see if they are the same.

6. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

i forgot to mention that the 390 is a 75 and was origiannly in the truck but the motor blew and that is why iam replacing it with the 351

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Isnt a 390 a big block ???????

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

390 is a fe series big block we swap a 390 in to a ranchero that had a 302 in it we had to change mounts bell housing. bigger rad etc.

cardoctor

9. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

They have different bellhousings (351Wvs.390), the clutch is probably also different. You have to do is find a 300, 302, 351W, or 352 with the same tranny and use that bellhousing. The 390 is still technically a small block, but it has a big block bell housing bolt pattern, I know that the 351C, 351M, 400, 427, 428, 429, 460 have the same pattern, I think that the 360 and 514 does also.