1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

350hr. tractor/ dozer blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Haden61, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

I am picking up a new super center Walmart. 15/20 acres, not finished yet to know to the foot. Is there any problem using a dozer blade with wings? Approx. 18' Thanks
  2. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

the only thing i'ld worry about is tearing up the new asphalt with a dozer otherwise i don't see why not
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm having a little trouble figuring this one out. By your thread title, is this a 350 hp tractor with dozer blade? Is the tractor rubber tired? Do you have a float position?

This 350 hp tractor must be a behemoth! What brand?

One of the contractors in my area uses 4x4 farm tractors with big snow blades, in the 150 to 175 hp range. His lots aren't nearly as big as what you describe, though.
  4. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

350hp tractorYes it is on rubber

Yes it is on rubber and has float. Case/IH is the brand. Anyone else use a tractor this size with a dozer blade with wings? I want to run steel, exept the very ends of the wings so that it realy cleans. Anyone comments about using the dozer blade? I'm a sub for the company. The blade is 12', depending on how level the lot is will be how wide we go. We will clean the allys out with trucks.
  5. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

I don't speak from my own experience, but around here a lot of them are on snow. Similar set up is part of the city subcontractor for street plowing, other use them on large lot.

Someone has a JCB Fastrack with Front plow, wing plow and salter at the rear, AWESOME set up.

The only help i can give you is : DO NOT mount your dozer blade on the bucket arm, ( i rent a used farm tractor last year, and both arm were twisted because previous owner did it, on flat ground, it had a difference of 6 inches from left to right side of the bucket.) You need the same kind of attachment like the one on big truck.
  6. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

I can't speak from personal experience either but I can tell you my uncle had a large John Deere four wheel drive tractor with a dozer blade he used for plowing rural roads and his farm. I always thought it looked like an incredible plowing machine but he told me traction was his biggest problem. He said that big tractors with their dual tires generally don't have a good weight to traction ratio on the tires when you get on hard icy surfaces. I have heard a lot of guys rig up ways to put wheel weights and extend the weight bars on the front and rear of the tractors to add and reposition the weight.
  7. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

350hp tractor

We will be plowing at 1"/ 2", and with this set up we will keep well ahead of storm. The company I sub for used to use trucks only, me included. We are trying this for the 12" dumps, should make life easier. They are providing me a back plow for the tractor with down pressure like the ones we run on all the trucks, just bigger. I'm sure too wide of a dozer blade with wings and we could not have enough traction. What is the magic number? Thanks