1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500hd dually plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cheeze6, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Cheeze6

Cheeze6 Junior Member
    from KY

Have a Chevy 3500hd dually thinking of putting an extra 7.5 Meyer with wings that we already have. Anyone done this and been satisfied? I know a 7.5 is too small but with wings added I was hoping it would work. Thoughts???

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just get the proper size blade?

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

With wings it's about 9-9.5 right? My only concern is its too much truck for the plow

4. forkicks

forkicks Member

There's nothing wrong with a set up like that. In fact it is a good idea to keep as much weight off the front end as possible. But the big question is what do you plan to do with this plow. The reason alot of guy's go with bigger and heavier plows is due to what they plow. It takes weight to dig down on packed snow that has been driven on. A lighter plow will tend to ride up on top of the snow. Also with the weight of your truck if you are a agressive plower and slam piles of snow trying to stack to the moon than a lighter set up like that will not last long before things start breaking. But using caution and not plowing like a maniac you should be fine. See mossmans post's I bellieve his first set up on his dually was a 7.5 with wings. I also run a 7.5 with wings and much like mossman we both have crew cab dually's. This setup has worked well for me on this truck but everyone is different.

5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I did the same thing for a year. It plowed pretty good, just didn't handle the weet stuff very well. When you can save up, get a real plow!!

6. forkicks

forkicks Member

Whats a real plow????

7. Cheeze6

Cheeze6 Junior Member
    from KY

It's an older plow from a previous truck. Just trying to make it work instead of buying a new one

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I understand that. Could look into a new moldboard as well

9. Omega

Omega Member

We run an 8' BOSS on our 3500 Rwd Dump and as long as there is a pallet of salt in the back it works great ... now we usually only 5-8" per event here and the ground is flat so that probably helps

10. Cheeze6

Cheeze6 Junior Member
    from KY

We only get about 5-6 snow events per year but when we do it's nuts. Thanks for feedback. Sounds like I'll be fine. I was mainly concerned about my width of plow covering wheel tracks. Never had a plow with wings just didn't know the specifics of them. I really like the Boss plows but hate to throw down $6k for one when I can invest a little in this extra Meyer plow I have and make it work.