1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500 Suspension Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I recently bought a mid 90's plow truck with a lanscaping/flatbed body. Looks like some aftermarket crap was on the truck. It has Helwig helper springs and a dually conversion kit. The rims are 8 lug but not the "large" type you'll find on a true dually. Anyway I installed a spreader and loaded a yard of sand on it. The suspension is not sagging BUT the rear tires rub on the bottom...just my luck! So I remove the outer tires and fill to 80 psi hoping this will do the trick. The tires are rated the same as another "true" dually I have which I think is "E". Drop it off the jack with no results, tires still rubbing.
    So I jack the truck back up and remove the inner tires. I inspect the other dually I have in which the brake drums are cone shaped and wheel studs are longer. The only thing in common amungst both trucks is the differentials are the same so it's definetly a 1 ton.

Question is if I just single out the rear tires will I have a problem? I see other non dually 1 ton trucks with sanders and am hoping I'll have no problems.

2. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

What size tires?

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Lt 235/85r 16

4. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

That might be the problem , think you'll find that 215/85/16 was the original size.
    also tires vary in width from brand to brand in the same size.

5. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Thats impossible. The width is 235 and the aspect ratio is 85 (% of width is the sidewall). A size is a size, no variations there.

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:cool:tymusicYou can run a genuine dually with single tires on the rear, I plowed with a 2wd dually and found better traction running singles. Plus I haD A drive thru to plow which was narrow and the dually tires always rubbed. Running single fixed the problem

7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I understand your logic , but If you look at the different manufacturers spec sheets I think you will find it is not impossible.

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

What I did for now was remove the dually adaptor kit and running a single tire in the rear. Will I have a problem popping tires with a hi-way sander and a yard of sand?

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldn't as long as the tires are in good shape and the right size for the rim. Yard is only about a ton and a half, sander is what, less than a ton. Still would have more carrying capacity with the duals, and overall they'd bulge less because they're working half as hard. Doesn't sound like the spacer between them is big enough. I got a 1.5 inch spacer on ebay fairly cheap, because my oversize tires were rubbing together a little. Sounds like you're talking about regular non-dually wheels. They weren't designed to be run as duals, therefore the adaptor should move them apart. Maybe 235/85 is bigger than what the adaptor was designed for, I'd look for another one a little bigger, it's cheaper than buying smaller tires.

I feel safer having two extra wheels under mine when I load it down. And recent stuff I've read points to the rubbing thing as being a non-issue. I always believed that rubbing duals would heat up and pop, but now they say that's on old wives tale from back in the weak bias ply tire days. Supposedly it's no real reason for concern. I still bought the spacer adaptor to get the 255/85s a little further apart.

You're truck is probably a 2500 that somebody wanted to make into a 3500. The rear axles are the same, but the spring perches would be different, and even a SRW 3500 would have likely come with the overloads. Not a big deal, it's essentially a 3500 now. Should make for a darn good work truck.

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

It is definetly a 3500 series according to the vin. I may have found an '85 1 ton/2 wheel drive really cheap but not sure if the hubs both front and rear will interchange. Here's a pic of the '95. As you can see the rims are not offset as a true dually rim.

IMG_0634 (Small).JPG

IMG_0638 (Small).JPG

IMG_0636 (Small).JPG

11. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

if it were me i would go to a junkyard and try to find a dually and get the rims that would probaly fix your rubbing problem

12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

FYI update in case someone runs into the same problem. Ran the truck from 3pm Tues to 1pm Weds. No problems at all. The only thing that bothers me is the Helwig helper springs. The clamps have a tendancy to walk a bit. I just may take the truck to a spring shop to have this done correctly. Thanks for all the replys.

13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Tried that but the entire housing needs to be changed frm drum to drum. The spindle is longer and the brake drumes are cone shaped.

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The original tire size is 215/85-16,meant for duals.I will tell you this truck is in DOT's radar,meaning you had better get rid of the rubbing issue,I had the same thing going on my 88 V-30 dump years ago using the wrong 235/85's which rubbed with just a light load.A DOT officer noticed it which got me on the scales,now with a heavy load and got me for about 800 lbs. over.I would ditch those spacers,which really aren't that safe, and get the correct offset dual wheels with 215's.

15. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I removed the spacers and ran singles on the truck. Last storm we ran 22 hours non stop without any issues

16. Detroitdan

wont work, he'd need to change the whole rearend. SRW 3500 has the same rearend setup as a 2500, 3500 dually rearend has different brake spindle setup. Dually (budd style) wheels wont clear his brakes.

The dual wheels should carry the weight better, but obviously the spacer/adaptor is not wide enough to accomodate the 235/85s. Rather than worry about rubbing issues, and the integrity of the adaptor, I'd do what you did and just run a single rear wheel and keep an eye on them.

I ran 235/85s on my dually with 16x6 stock factory 97 dually wheels and they weren't touching.

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

The 235/85's is exactly what I have on my "true" dually as well.

DSCF0026 (Small).JPG

18. Detroitdan

sweet looking truck, do I detect a custom two-tone paint job?

19. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Good eyes! Thanks...this truck has never seen salt or snow and used for the sole purpose to pull the Cig. I was pondering the thought of turning this into a plow/sander truck but made my decision in 2 seconds...Not happening.

20. Detroitdan

I have long wanted to do a two tone paint job on mine, I like black over maroon, with maybe a silver or white line/graphicseparating the two colors.