1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500 Hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by slade, Sep 6, 2005.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

What are your guys thoughts on using a GMC 3500 HD (15,000) GVW with a 10' v-box spreader on the back. It would mainly be used for salting but some plowing too. The only problem is it's 2-wheel drive. I hate the idea of getting a 2-wheel drive truck, however I wouild like to have a little beefier truck suspension wise so I can haul more salt since that is what I spend most of my time doing with it. Right now I have a 88 chevy 1 ton 4x4. gvw 12,000.
    thanks for your advice.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have that exact set up(1999) with a 9' Western plow. It has to go out with a load of salt, and we only use it on very flat ground. We have had no problems though. We have pushed 12" of snow before. I also have a 2003 with a 9'6" Fisher V and a 8' salter. 2 wheel drive and 11,400lb GVW. I would not recomend a 2 wd truck if this is going to be your main truck. These trucks only plow for 3 hours before starting their salting routes and we have many trucks out to help them out if the going gets tough.