1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500 hd or f-550 which is better

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by slade, Jul 9, 2006.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

which truck is built better and lasts longer? I'm looking at replacing a work truck with one of these probably around a 2000 model. All input is appreciated.

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

can you get by with a 1 ton prob save you a lot of cash up front

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Apples to oranges

As aid the 3500 is a one ton. The 550 is much more. All depends on what you need.

Chevy makes more direct competition to the 550.

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion based on my experiences the Ford is a much more reliable unit than the GM products. A lot of the municipalities in this area were steadfast GM users for years inspite of all of the problems with front ends, injectors, injector pumps etc........ Now all of them have made the switch to the Ford's because they are more reliable and are biult heavier and can withstand more punishment that their GM counterparts.

Here is a pic of my newest 550 before we put the dump on it.

#18.jpg

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 1999 Chev 3500HD. It has been a great truck and I have had it since new. We used it for plowing for the first 5 years but now the salting demand is to high and we need it strickly for salting. I would like to have the extra payload of the F550 though. Last year I bought a 2003 W5500, have you thought of one of those? It turns on a dime and great on fuel. You can get other makes in 4X4.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Sorry Big Dog check the facts, I have both, but the 6.0 diesel has the highest tsd's(common problems) the 7.3 is the second, out of every vehichle manufactured. My F- 550 is for sale, the f-550 is totally overrated on pulling I would compare it to a escalade, or a little less but a 3/4 duramax or 454, (which I currently own besides my 550) would be a lot heavier duty.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm not much of a gambler but i would put down $ on the f550 7.3 (stock)over the escalade (stock) for towing any day. that sucks you truck is such a lemmon. i know you have been trying to sell it for awhile. you could cut your losses and trade it in. it should still be worth quite a bit of change.

8. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

We pulled a skid loader back from new orleans with both. I will take the escalade the f550 has new complete factory motor, and still gutless. I'm financing someone to get it out of my hands!

9. Jay brown

why did you buy it in the first place? our 550 grosses 39,000 lbs and it tows fine. sorry about your luck.

10. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

We wanted a crew cab and after the luck we had with 6.0 diesel we heard if you get a 7.3 you won't have problems. My wife says did you forget the 6.0,the cobras, the expedition, I was smarter than her I thought flew to Pa. and bought it anyway. Then come to find out it had the second highest TSD's next to the 6.0 diesel of any vehicle on the market. So i at any given chance will give out information about how FORD is a deadbeat company, at least since the mid 90's, I hope they shut down and the board thrown in jail because of the corners they cut on their products the safety issues they created, and they lie cheat and steal policy of FORD. Do you trust trucks that have had repeat collapsing frames at claycomo lately, and in 1997 at Richards Gebaur while the trucks were in storage.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  11. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Hey Jay do you monitor your EGT's or Trans tempatures? Even when driving down the highway. I wish someone would have told me the truth before hand.

12. Big Dog D

Sorry T'nT, I am checking the facts. I currently own 4 F-550's(all diesel) and 2 F-350's (both diesel) and also owned but retired another F-350 w/7.3 litre in it. I will take 7 personal positive experiences to your one negative experience anyday!!!

Just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean that the whole model line is junk. As far as your comparison of the F-550 to an Escalade................................... I want some of what your drinking.:dizzy:

13. Jay brown

i will take your advice and get a trans temp guage! our 550 does not have the stock guage. always thought it would be a good idea. so far i have 30,000 miles of very,very heavy towing and hard commercial plowing and have had no repairs except for the batteries.

14. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Egt's at 53 mph were burning up my turbo at 3-4 times normal. With overdrive off I expect to buy a truck and drive it 65 to 80 with out burning it up.

15. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Obviously you had a problem. Take it in and get it fixed.

I have not heard of another such prblem and have not had any issues with mine.

To compare SUV to a dedicated work truck is worse then a 3500 to the 550. I think the problem may have been that some routed the 550 exhaust into the cab when you were driving.

16. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

The f-550 isn't a workhorse and neither is a escalade on 23's, Ford is not a reputable company and can't figure it out. So they gave up and blamed it on .50 cent corner they cut.

17. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Think that about sums it up. Just becuase YOU have a problem with ford doesnt mean they arent a workhose.

18. Big Dog D

I think that you are the one that gave up when you didn't get to hear what you wanted to hear and now you are bad mouthing an entire brand because of it.

19. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

They have not had a reputable warranty since around 1997. Their dealers lie with them. My truck drove from New Orleans to Kansas City with a rod hanging out the block. They tried to get me for 12k 3 times caught in lies three times and decided not to warranty without a reason. I have a verifiable list of vehichles.

20. Big Dog D

None of this makes any sense. Stop bashing:realmad: and give specifics.