1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500 Front Axle Removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BCLARK, Dec 27, 2006.

1. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Hi All,
    Looks like I need to relace an outer CV boot on my 93 3500 4x4 DRW dump truck.
    Can the axle come out with out taking a ball joint loose? It looks like it would be close to coming out with out doing that but I, hate to get it half way apart and find I have to take a ball joint loose to get the axle out. Thoughts?

Bob

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Im not 100% but I think if you turn the wheel all the way towards the side you are working on, it should extend the cv joint out and you can compress it in to remove it. But I may be wrong but this is how I saw my buddy do it in the field(we were off-roading) to his 93 GMC and it worked

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can pull the axle out without disconnecting either of the ball joint's but you will have to remove the end link off the end of the sway bar and disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle and also pull the bolt out of the bottom of the shock and swing it out of the way.Other than that everything else can stay.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I removed the lower shock mount and popped it in and out. Very easy. I did the shock because the end link would have broken due to rust on the bolt

5. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Thanks all!
    Taking the sway bar end link out did not allow enough room to remove the axle. I'll try the shock mount first and then the tie rod end if that does not work. Thanks again!!!

Bob