1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500 dully plastic fender crack in cold temprature

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rich414, Jan 25, 2011.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have a 2004 3500hd dully, I live in a COLD climate and I am on my 2nd set of rear fenders or quarter panels.

We have had temperatures in the ZEROS over the last month and a few cracks have appeared in the lower section of the rear panels. Not sure how the cracks happen, in one area of the panel, I backed into a snow pile and the fender just shattered. I have the pieces. I am not alone in this, all but one of the 3500 in my town have busted, crack, missing sections of rear fenders. I just want to fix the cracks and put the pieces back

I have drilled each end of the cracks and the cracks have stopped running.

When I disposed of the first set of fenders, I kept a piece of the fender to test repair techniques. Yesterday I found the test piece of fender in the garage which is about 60 degrees, and I tried to bust the piece so that I could fiberglass it back together. I could not break the piece, it just bent. I set the test piece outside for a few hours, the temp was 20 degrees and I had no problem snapping a section off.

So I sanded the back sides of both section, taped the section together on the front, with a 1/16" gap and fiberglassed the pieces together with 2 layers of cloth... Today, I gave the repair a test and I was able to separate the repair into to 2 pieces without much effort, the failure occurred at the fiberglass plastic bond.

So there is my story. Fiberglass is not the repair solution.
    How do I fix the fenders?
    What is the plastic compound that the fenders are made from?
    The wife said that a flatbed is NOT an option...

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

It sucks.... both mine are busted. Lucky I don't have a wife and I'm going with an aluminum flatbed. Good Luck looking for a solution!