1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3500 diesel...whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 600rrpilot, Aug 24, 2005.

1. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

04 ram 3500 diesel. short bed. quad cab. whats the deal with the snow plow prep package? my truck does not have it. big deal or no?

also is it really that horrible to put a plow on this truck? i plowed with a 04 ram 2500 diesel last year and the thing rocked. let me know :drinkup:
  2. wls

wls Senior Member

I'd throw a set of timbrens on and plow
  3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I just got a 05 quad cab short bed with the hemi.We put the new 860 blizzard on it what a beast.As far as i know the plow package is only a 160amp alt,and skid plates thats it.I don't think the inline diesel is any heavier then a V8.as far as timbrens my truck didnt sag much and the 860 blizzard is heavier than my 9ft fishers i have on my F350s
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Im pretty sure the Cummins is about 1000#s heavier ! yes not a typo
    The only thing different on the diesel truck with the snow plow prep is the skid plates, the diesel has the upgraded alt. Oh and the fact if you hang a plow on it you just voided your warranty ! Yes strange but true for a crappy 125.00 acc. NO WARRANTY for plowing without it. SO buyer beware I allmost purchased a truck without the prep, I said holy chit to the salesmen I dont think It had plow prep, he talked to the big man he said no prep no warranty. Started the negotiating process all over on a different truck he had on the lot. So watch yourself guys
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

T-man is right: the CTD is almost 1000 lbs heavier than the Hemi- there's a LOT more iron in the CTD (remember the hhmi is aluminum too).

The diesel's already come with the 160 amp alt- they need it. Snow plow prep is alot on the gasser, not sure about the diesel. Stiffer front springs possible in the new ones- no skid plates tho, that's only on the off road (possibly the new power wagons too now). Probabily additional tranny cooler and oil cooler.

But- no plow prep means no warranty coverage.... Dealers have to honor warranty with modifications, as long as the modifications do not cause the whatever to break- adding a plow almost anything could be blamed on it and without the "plow prep" the dealer and DC has precidence to deny you saying the truck was not equipped or designed to plow with hence voiding warranty.

I explain because this has been covered before on every make of truck and someone always has to disagree claiming they have to warranty it no matter what.
  6. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

just got off the phone with chrysler. she told me just because im plowing with the truck does not mean my warranty is voided. (and she knows exactly what truck is for, asked for my vin number) she said the damage will have to be a direct result of plow use.

JRKRACE Senior Member

I don't buy it....Can you damage the driveline from plowing? I would think so. I don't trust any of the big three when they make a statement like that. It's your word against theirs and they have much deeper pockets.....
  8. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

well put it this way....if my heat goes.....its covered. if my front axle busts....its probably not covered. lol. thats all she is saying. that my entire warranty is not thrown out the window. and the final decision is made by your dealer...so....better be friendly. ;)

JRKRACE Senior Member

I agree about the heater, but say I'm plowing a shopping center at 4 am and my tranny decides to take a dump, then what?..Sorry, It's from the plowing..No plow package....Geez I'll see what I can do.....You're on your own...This is why I sacrificed the diesel to get the plow package...So if something breaks, I have a better chance of saying "Fix it..I'm in a hurry."

There may be a way around a warranty by buying an extended warranty with a snowplow provision..This may supercede the factory warranty issues, if they arise..Just my .02 purplebou
  10. T-MAN

She is right, the dealer will decide what is covered. If you snap an axle while plowing with the plow prep you will be covered. Why take the chance, its a lousy 125 dollars more. If the truck is used so be it but new ?
    Like I stated the dealer I purchased from stated there policy is no plow prep no warranty for damaged parts from plowing. I felt this was a big deal, so I went back on the lot and found a different truck. I purchase new for relibility ( not allways though) and the warranty is a big deal as well.
  11. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

i have a 2003 2500 with the snow plow prep.. after a my first year of commercial plowing i brought my truck in for service.. because i have the extended warrenty they replaced the following:
    7 u-joints
    upper and lower ball joints (both sides)
    rear driveshaft
    front hub bearings (both sides)
    intermediate shaft (steering)

my warrenty covered all of these things.. it was great
  12. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

holy crap what did you do to that thing!? :eek:

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

sound like the shop must have been having a slow day.

14. T-MAN

7 u-joints ?
    I thought they only had 6, I could be wrong but I come up with 2 for the rear shaft, 2 on the front shaft, and 2 in the front axles. Am I missing one ?
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

some 3500's had split rear drive shafts making #7.

Sounds like that truck is getting beat on.
  16. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

luckily 90% of it was warrenty work. I was using the truck for the last year and a half to haul a skidsteer everyday and then plowin just kinda beat on it. thank god for a warrenty.
  17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got a 2003 WITHOUT the plow prep.

So far I've replaced all 6 U-joints and the front driveshaft.

Emerscape - What's your build date / location on that truck??

Almost sounds like they had a bad batch of U-joints one day.

As far as the warranty, it's all been covered by Dodge, under the 7/70k warranty.

They know it's used for plowing, kinda hard not to tell with the "BOSS" undercarriage hanging down in front, with the company name all over the side.
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

From what Im told on that truck, if you have the diesel its already got the biggest shocks, coils, and coolers. So all the "snow plow prep package" is is a skid plate over the tranny and transfer case...Thats what my dealer told me anyhow.
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All long box's have a two piece rear drive shaft, A Carrier bearing and 3 u-joints.

I have yet to replace any on my 01, I replaced 2 on my 98 last year.

sounds fishy, too many bad U-joints all at once??

Epic lawn care is right, the plow prep for your truck would consist of a skid plate for the tranny & transfer case.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  20. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Guys on the Diesel the plow prep package is HD springs up front 47/46 opposed to the 39/38.