1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

350 Vortec intake manifold (*&#%&##$#*!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TOOMUCHWALKING, Feb 10, 2009.

1. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING Junior Member

Anyone have such an item ? A cheesy fitting corroded off and expelled all the coolant yesterday. Today I got the right size E-Z out...and it split the boss on the manifold. Two problems...dealer wants $800 ! I need to get this thing going without fail cause it's my only plow truck. It's a 1999 5.7/350 and it must be from 1996-? vortec heads. :cry: :realmad: :help: :angry:

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

My Tahoe did the same thing. I did not use an easy out though. I ground a tool down and tapered it where it made a good bite into the broken fitting. What boss did you break. Post some pics.
    T.J.

3. TOOMUCHWALKING

No pix right now, but...the cheesey clip in heater hose thingamajigger fits into a device that threads into the intake above the #2 cylinder. That heater hose fitting is what broke, and subsequently as I was trying to remove the broken off thread part with an EZ out, the intake split around the threads . Dammit !

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I know which fitting it is. I was wondering how you split the intake. Check e-bay for an intake. Too bad you do not live closer I could TIG it up for you. The intake has to come off regardless.
    T.J.

5. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

definitely need to replace the intake now make sure you get the updated gaskets from the dealer:drinkup:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dorman has the '96-'00 lower Vortec intakes brand new for much less than OEM price. New ones around $350.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i guess you learned not to use an ez out just chip out the old pieces and chase with a tap

JR

8. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

www.car-part.com

Searchable by state/province. Even does cross-references on the fly (what model fits what model).

9. TOOMUCHWALKING

I've been searching for the aftermarket version, but it looks like nobody stocks them. Also looks like I may have to plow tonight. FUBAR !!!!

10. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i have one from a 1996 350 vortec...call me if u want it..100.00 269 317 2403

11. TOOMUCHWALKING

Unfortunately I found your post only after I returned from a junkyard with one-they got me for $150 for just the lower. I don't have the broken one off yet, but the one I got has the worst casting I've ever seen. Several of the intake ports are twisted.

12. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I don't know what the dealer has, but Fel-Pro has an updated kit for these. Much better than the stock plactic gaskets GM used for way too long.

Fel-Pro part # MS98000T

13. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

The techs at the local GM dealer wont use the GM gasket only the felpro.

14. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

why cant you drill it out and heel a coil it ????

15. TOOMUCHWALKING

That might have been an option to begin with. The threaded portion broke/crumbled below the surface, and I got a big easy-out which grabbed really nicely. Because of the coolant which had been trickling out of this fitting for years ( so that's where that coolant smell came from...) this thing had the grip from hell on the aluminum and it cracked the manifold :angry: :cry: :alien:

16. wheeley24

wheeley24 Junior Member
    from Iowa

ok good luck