1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

350 ticks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Grshppr, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

My 1978 Blazer has a 350 that has just developed a tick. It is not an exaust leak, and I'm pretty sure it is not a lifter, as the sound seems to be coming from the lower back area of the engine, where it meets the tranny. As soon as I rev the engine the slightest bit, the tick goes away. It is more noticable in park and neutral than when in gear. Any ideas, could it be a bearing in the tranny? :confused:
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

what tranny do you have?
  3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I believe it is the turbo 350. Its mated to a NP 203 t-case. I think that was the common auto trans used back then.
  4. snowflake

snowflake Member

one thing you mite want to check is see if the flywheeel is cracked i have seen some crack around the bolts holes to the crank. otherwize mite have a main bearing goin out. is your oil pressure good sounds more like the flywheel is bad.

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Oil pressure is good, I'll have to take the front plate off the tranny , and shine a light in to see if I see any cracks. Thanks
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check the convertor bolts,they may be loose.Also check the flex plate as described above.
  7. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Well, It was the flexplate. It had some bad cracks in it. No snow in the near future, so I'm getting my mechanic to fix it today. I'd rather get it done now, than have it break completely during a big dump. Thanks a lot for the input guys!:drinkup: :drinkup:
  8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'll try post a pic of the cracked flexplate when I get it back.
  9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

cracked flywheel

Usually they crack right around the bolt pattern . Glad you got right to it, I hate to see plow trucks being towed in, saw one yesterday morning being towed with a strap by another plow truck. Hope they had their routes done.