1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

350 super duty rear leaf

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mjredfordtrks1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mjredfordtrks1

mjredfordtrks1 Junior Member

I have a 99 350 sd super cab 8ft bed v10 with broken rear springs.I bought springs from dealer with part# given to me by my old mechanic.Just noticed they dont have the helper like the ones on the truck do.I hope they will still fit and just have less capacity?It is to late to return them ive had them for 3 months.I called parts dept but closed.Any input would br appreciated I did look at all previoud threads re springs

2. Chipper

Chipper Member

Should be able to just transfer the overload springs to the new spring pack. Remove the center bolt and install the overloads. New center bolts are available at most parts stores, cheap. Once the springs are separated you could even make your own custom set with the old unbroken springs leafs to increase the spring rate.
    Caution though the springs will be under a little bit of tension even just sitting on the ground. You'll need a couple big C clamps to be safe.

3. mjredfordtrks1

mjredfordtrks1 Junior Member

Thank you for your reply.That is exactly what I had done .The only un broken leaf was the one attached to the frame.They say they should have charged me for 6hrs labor instead of 3.Had it done at dealer.(what a mistake).So now i have 98% new springs

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I seen a posting about axle wrap on Powerstroke.com The poster said the powerful engines are causing springs to break from axle wrap. He recommended traction bars.
    Read some of the postings about springs breaking on this forum. My brother inlaw has the same truck you have and had his springs done about a year ago. His truck really never works or hauls much of a load. It's the family truckster.