1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

350 Engine Temp

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Allright so my truck has been doing this for a while now and its really starting to bug me. when the truck is warming up the temp will sometimes climb to 210 or just a hair above then it will cool way back down to like 1/4 of the gauge. It doesnt do it all the time but I just dont understand what it could be. Thermostat??? fan clutch??? The water pump is brand new and the coolant is new also. The truck has a 3" body lift and im wondering if raising the fan shroud has anything to do with this problem.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My truck just started to do that after I put my new waterpump on. Before it would just warm up to 150-170 and stay there, now it goes to 150-170 for a bit then goes to 210-220 for a few seconds then drops back to 150-170.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Do you think it could damage the heads running at 210 even for that little bit if time? The last thing i need right now is a cracked head.

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

My 2002 runs at 210 all day long. I would suggest replacing T-stat if you have already replaced waterpump. Cheap to replace would eliminate that as a possible cause

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hot

i have had brand new thermostats bad from the get go

6. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Sounds to me like you have air in the system. Probably when you changed the anti freeze. Didn't get all the air out and sha-zaam. Try cracking the hose by the thermostat and letting some air out.

Steve

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It only does it on initial warm up because the thermostat is sticking closed. It takes that extra bit of engine temp to "pop" it open.

See it quite often, especially on the cheaper brand thermostats.

8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

my truck runs at 200 all day long. a little warmer with the plow on. will run cooler when i install the cold air intake.

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Allright good deal thanks B&B if im not plowing tommorow i will change out the T-stat.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good ABES, make sure you get all the air out of it when you do. Standard procedure..

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My truck has been run 2x with the guage pegged past 260. There was a huge air pocket in the motor that we did not know about and we had the truck outside idling to test for coolant leaks.

My dads 02 v6 runs 200-210 also for normal driving.

What kind of thermostat would you guys suggest to keep the truck from going to 210-215 before it opens? My factory one never did it, the replacement one (napa) does and it kinda worries me since it seems like it takes a long time for it to open some days.

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I got the new Thermostat in and it works great now

Mark i used a 195 Stant thermostat from Checker part # 59119

I will let you know in a few days if it ever let it get too 210.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear ABES...hopefully it'll last a while this time. :salute:

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, I have a 195 from napa. My other stores of choice are autozone, murrays, and car quest. No Checkers around here.

15. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Hmm..this is very interesting read. I've lately be wondering the same. My truck will go to 210 and stay there, then drop back down. I highly doubt your doing any head warping, my 05 6.0 runs at 210 all day. I never noticed this with the 1500 till after i changed the thermostat. Any giving truck will run a little hot with a plow up front.....especially 1500s it seems. careful on how low you go with the thermostat tho. If you get one that opens to early, it will screw with your fuel and timing, the motor needs to operate at a certain degree or hesitation, pour gas mileage will show.