1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

35" tires - do you think this is a good idea?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Dec 14, 2004.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I have a 78 chevy K20 with a mild 350 bored .60 over,rebuilt th400 and trans cooler, Coporate 10 and 14 bolt axles with 4.10 gears, rear auburn gov lock,an NP203 transfer case with a part time kit and 33" tires. I heard that this effectively makes my gear ratio 3.73 with 33" tires. I am happy with the way the truck accelerates and it has plenty of power for towing and plowing. I still get about 8 to 10 mpg in town and 11 to 12 highway mpg which is to be expected. The thing is I want to put a 2 inch add a leaf and 35" tires. Will they fit without rubbing? Will this lower my gear ratio lower and get me better gas mileage since I drive on the interstate alot. Or will the increased rolling resistance lower the gas mileage even more? Will 35" tires be harder on my drive train especially my transfer case? I just put a the trans in and out 4 times ,until it was right, at my apartment where i go to school... long story :realmad: How much power will I lose? I noticed a slight loss in power when I went from 31" to 33" but my gas mileage increased about 2 mpg. sorry for the long post I have been thinking about this for a while now since I will be needing new tires soon Thanks for the help :salute:
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

In a nut shell you have no overdrive so you have to gear a bit differently that a truck with OD. 4.10 with 35's is ruffing equal to 3.42's with 30's. A jump to 35 will likely lower MPG and performance because of taller yet raitio and increased drag and rolling resistance and a little more added tranny strain too. If 33's are working for you you should leave it as is, at least for the winter anyway.