1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ 35 driveway meets ice/freezing rain= rock solid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Feb 3, 2011.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

So what do you guys charge when you have a $ 35 driveway that would normally take a few minutes to plow.....but this last storm it now has 1" of solid ice ? We're talking LOTS of salt on the first trip. Plow on the second trip, followed by even more salting for the small areas that didn't peel up. Double the normal price? Triple the price? Four times?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I don't understand. Why would it be anymore than the predetermined price?

3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a current customer or a person that just called for a one time plow? If its regular customer and it turned to ice due to you not keeping up with it then you are SOL. If there was an ice storm then I would charge what ever you have stated in the contract for the price of salting along with the plow price.

4. luky013

luky013 Junior Member

first of all there is no such thing as a $35 driveway. that is absurd. with all the costs involved with snow plowing how can you afford to start your truck at that price? second why is this in the commercial blog?

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:laughing:

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I totally agree Crete :laughing:

7. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Your SOL. If its a plow only account, than what is there to plow if its only ice? If you have your terms set up well than you'll be fine. Do you have a set amount or charge for salt applied? I only salt a couple driveways upon request. If what happened to you happened to me I would plow the dust off the top and ask i they want more done and tell them their options

8. qualitycut

I have to disagree with that I have 4 driveways that are within 1 mile and I charge 35 per and takes me about 25-30 minutes to do them so if 140.00 per hour is absurd then you must be either a millionaire with what you charge or only have one driveway.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

^^^ totally agree ^^^ :laughing:

For me, it's stated in my contract that 2-6" is $xx to $xx, 7-12" $xx to $xx, etc... based on the "heaviness of the snow." So, while i have some drives that might usually take 3 mins at $40, on this one they're $50+ because it was so heavy. NOW- granted, I got all of mine done before it froze up again, if you waited and there's no thaw in the forecast you're probably SOL:eek:

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So you're charging the same for 2" as 12"... YIKES!:confused:

11. qualitycut

They get plowed every 2-4in during a storm and are charged every time I show up. If its over 4 there is additional charge. I would never wait to plow at 12 inches.

12. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I've plowed alot of driveways and still do but mainly focus on commercial. The driveways I still do have an 1-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, etc rate. I think its crazy to show up and plow their driveway all those times on a trigger when most of the time they are laying in bed or at work. I couldn't get away with it. Wow.
    So if it started snowing at 7am and ended at 5pm with a total of say 10" you would plow 3-5 times? Or same deal overnight? If so good for you.

13. qualitycut

Depends on the amount of snow. Its closer to every 4-5 for resis sorry I was going with all of accounts in there because my commercials are same price structure as resis. Totally depends on how much snow and how long it lasts, we got 18 inches in about 2.5 days and every one was plowed 3 times at +4 pricing. If we get 6 in during the day I will do them 2 times.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Did the same storm here

15. qualitycut

Out of curiosity if we got 6 inches of snow do you go more than once or just wait till its done. Not trying to be a pri*ck just trying to understand.

16. qualitycut

This is my example of plowing everyone 2 times during a 4 inch snow. The other day we had 2 inches by 300 am I plowed everyone. By 6pm we had another 2 everyone got plowed again that night.

17. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

6" on residentials, the one I do, I would only do once. There is exceptions to this rule. Timing of the snowfall is key to our plowing. All the people I plow residentials for arefairly hardie. They can get in and out of their drives well. Some are in town with 30' flat drives and most are longer rural drives. In either case they manage.
    Sometimes they'll get hit twice in 6", most times not though. It just depends on the timing. I do have one residential that panics about snow and we plow the hell out of it. 6-12" they all get plowed at least twice. 12'+ they will get hit a few times as some of them are pretty steep and I do it more because of me being afraid to get stuck.

18. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

We had the same storm. Timing was a tad later but I didn't plow the residential until snow quit. Sometimes the weather man tricks us into plowing twice when it doesn't quit as planned.
    But think, why would I plow a driveway at 3am, banging a plow around waking them up, than when they get up and leave they can't even tell we were there.
    Commercial is a totally different story and thats where we spend most of our time.

19. qualitycut

LOl this thread got way off topic be cause of my 4 driveways buy each other for 35 dollars each responding the the 2nd post on here with out giving much info as I was trying to prove that 35 isnt bad for a one time plow on a 2-4 snowfall

20. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Dude- If you can get away with it all, morepower to ya. I could care less. Sorry