1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

34 years ago today!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by lawn king, Feb 6, 2012.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard of 1978. Once in a lifetime storm (so far). Where were you?

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I remember getting sent home early from school. The school staff was in a frenzy because the buses were overloaded & were having a hard time getting all the kids home. It was a great time to be a kid w/ all the snow days off from school & heading out skiing or sledding. I had a paper route & had to use a sled to pull my newspapers around...good times.

3. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

...woke up to snow drifts over my swingset. No school for 2 weeks!

4. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

As a kid in TX I was making snow men.
    It was one of the two times I can remember having fun down there in the winter.

Mom was yelling at me to put my hat back on while making a real snowman A great day with hot chocolate and tiny marshmallows.
    Not exactly on the same day as we know how precip travels, but yeah we had it too.

February 17, 1978 – The last in a series of five snow events that began in mid-January also had the greatest totals. Between 4-8 inches fell from Throckmorton to Gainesville, and north of a line through Dublin, Cleburne, Terrell, and Sulphur Springs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

To make you feel old, it was 4 years before I was even born. :laughing:

6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I was just shy of getting my drivers license, so the event was all fun for me!

7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Walking around town offering to shovel walks, drives and even roofs with my brother and 3 neighbor kids. We were out for days on end and made over $800.00 each. That's when I decided I would always do snow removal. I was 13 for this storm, now.....47:nod:

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

High school senior working at a sohio gas station with 5 wreckers 2 service trucks what a time that was. 17 years old with a new wrecker in a blizzard priceless. Then getting my first plow rig.

gumbo monster (800x600) (640x480).jpg

9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I was in 7th grade,crazy time, home in Marblehead listening to the scanner, 90mph winds and 40' seas .
    The tanker Global Hope on the rocks/grounded about 150 yards off shore in Salem sound, listening to the Can Do,( a pilot boat that headed out to help the Coast Guard after their boat lost radar and the Tanker) disappear from the scanner loosing all on board.
    The "Can Do" wreckage ended up about 50' off the Marblehead neck,crew members encased in ice on the town beach.Had the double whammy of the coastal storm and the snow....
    Mom was an RN at Salem Children's Hospital and the National Guard would pick her up and drop her off from work.
    The local police asked anyone with snowmobiles to report to the station and they used them for patrols ,calls, safety checks etc...I remember seeing the police on Ski doo Nordics and Mercury sleds running around town....

candoboat.jpg

coastguardboat.jpg

global_hope2.jpg

Route%20128.jpg

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I spent a portion of it welding on a old Case Construction King that hit a concrete light pole base and broke a driver's side lift arm, normal for that tractor. I think it had something to do with the extra lift ram they use to have.) Had to fix it in the hospital parking lot where it broke. Had more trouble getting to the tractor then fixing it. Working under a old beach umbrella to keep the snow off the man and the work. Its hard to weld with snow coming in the back of the welding helmet. Fogging is enough of an issue in those conditions. So I guess I was just doing normal storm plow repair.

11. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

We just had the 45th anneversary of the storm of 67. I wasn't around then but have pictures of my older brothers climbing drifts and standing on top of the house/garage. They had some great stories!

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buffalo was 35 yrs ago.

[​IMG]

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I wasn't even an itch in my dad's pants for another 4 years....

14. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

was 5 years old then, but ours was in 73' the year an the same month I was born I cam home the day of it.

15. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

In the Boston area the Blizzard was really a two part event with us having something like 37" of snow in January followed up a week later by a 27" storm, just shut the area down.The 90mph wind along with the snow was to much to deal with...
    Found this photo online, Rt495 in Mass, a couple of B Model Macks and looks like a Ford opening up the highway...

bliz78_plow.jpg

16. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

THE blizzard of the century here was 1996 . 33'' with 4' drifts

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  17. adamhumberview

adamhumberview Senior Member

i was still swimmin' around my dads bag..

18. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

payup
    i was swimmin inpayup

19. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

chit 34 years ago today my dad was 12 years old good job dating yourself

20. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

4 years old at the time. Remember my dad going out every hour plowing our street so he could go and plow the dealership lot he worked for. he finally went to bed about 1am and got up around 5 am. It was too late by then. Brand new Dodge Snow commander stuck in the driveway for the next week until the town could get a front end loader to open up our street.