1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

33X12.50-18 Tires To Plow With?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DozerMan, Oct 2, 2010.

1. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

I have a 2002 2500HD Ext. Cab with the D/A. I have a 8'2" Boss Poly V that I plow with. I've always ran 285/75-16 tires on my factory rims in the winter. In the summertime I put on 18X9 wheels with the 33X12.50-18 Toyo M/T tires. I have no issues with rubbing. My truck has a leveling kit with Cognito idler/pitman arm supports, as well as tierod supports. I also have Timbrens in the front.

My tires for the winter need replaced and I would like to just run my summer tires/wheels, mostly because I just want one set and I want to sell my chrome wheels and get black ones. Wheels are also cheaper than the tires, and my summer tires have a lot of life left. Do any of you run this size tire and if so, do you have any issues? My concerns are rubbing with the plow on with the bigger tires, as well as extra stress on the front end components with the larger wheel/tire combo. I know skinnier tires usually go through snow better, but there isn't a huge difference in width. Any opinions?
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same boat with 12.5 MTR tires I'll find out during the first plow this season, I think I'll be ok. Good luck
  3. plowin207

plowin207 Member

i know you are gonna get haters saying no way you need no wider then stock or narrower blah blah blah. but they also probably say you need a one ton truck with a deisel to plow. but last year i switched to 285/75's and i think it plowed better then the 245/75's i had before so i say go for it and see what you think. if it doesn't work for you go back to what you were doing
  4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree I like the 285 much better.
  5. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

I agree on the 285's. Those tires did great in the snow. They cut through heavy drifts with ease, and they were also mud terrains (Goodyear MTR's). I've heard a lot of guys say stay away from M/T's but for my truck they work great.