1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

330 Peterbilt Hooklift

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by hlntoiz, Sep 16, 2010.

1. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Well, Sold the GMC 6500 and got my dream truck this spring. Found it on Ebay. Here are some pics of when I bought it, during the transformation and how it looks now.

Cosmetically it is pretty much done. Just need to add a bigger fuel tank and some sort of back rack for storage. Mechanically she runs good, a few minor leaks and drips but that should be all taken care of this winter (if we get good snow.) She needs a little more nut under the hood. I want to juice her up a little.

0331101829.jpg

0519101830.jpg

0604101732.jpg

0610101633.jpg

0331101829.jpg

0519101830.jpg

0604101732.jpg

0610101633.jpg

2. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Finished pics
    0625101355.jpg

0625101413.jpg

0827101648.jpg

0625101355.jpg

0625101413.jpg

0827101648.jpg

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Wow Matt! That thing is sweeeeeeet! Makes that trailer look like a toy! Congrats!

ussmileyflag

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck. I like the Peterbilt aluminum cabs. How many speed is it?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Thanks Brendan. I love the truck, I always loved the Pete's, I feel it has been a huge leap in efficiency for me. Just makes me that more productive. Just being able to move 2 machines at once is priceless. I need a couple bigger cans though. I can hook a 36" or a 54". But it works for now. Looking for a 20yd and a 12 yd one as well as a flat bed. I borrow my buddies when I need one but I want my own.

6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

very nice truck matt congrats:drinkup:

outta curiousity whats the g.v.w. on that?

7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Thanks 33k GVW. I have my Class A CDL of course.

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

So, are you putting a plow on it or just running the Dodge now?

I was looking at stellar hooklifts at the fair this year. Would love to have one on an F550-size truck and be able to switch between cans for hauling snow, spreader, landscape body, and flat bed. One day...

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sweet lookin ride Matt. Congrats :drinkup:

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Very sweet truck. Hope it works really well for you.

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

gotta love a Pete...here the one I picked up this spring for a song!

sals truck.jpg

12. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Sweet truck, i love the color matched fleet, even the takeuchi from the factory matches. What other hooklift bodies do you have/want to buy?

13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I am super jealous. I need one of those badly. Love the two tone paint. Except it should be an Irish green color instead of red! :D

14. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Very Nice! It definitely looks like a whole different truck after the paint!

Any issues with towing the trailer, looks like you could almost hit the box on a tight corner? Also, looks like you got rid of the tarp system that was in the first pictures?

15. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Ya but I got my eye on another truck. If the financials work out I should be getting it. I very seriously considered a 550 series truck but with the GVW's it really just doesn't work out.

Thanks

Dave, one of these is right up your alley

Nice.....I am considering a tag axle on this one but I have to due some mods first.

I need a 20yd container, flatbed and I want to custom build one that would be my primary can. I am not in the dumpster biz. It is really just for my convenience.

thanks.. you an my neighbor would get along just fine! LOL

ya I didn't need the tarp system. Wasted weight for me. I have to be careful pulling that trailer but that is how it has always been with all the trucks I had. I am hopefully going to be getting a new cargo trailer next spring with a 60" tongue. so I shouldn't have any issues.

16. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Merritt headache rack (used) and saddle boxes for storrage.

17. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Nice looking truck! We went through the exact same thing a few years back. We have a roll-off, but just this past winter we built our own flatbed for the truck. Here are a few pictures for inspiration. When you build it, just make sure you put the gussets and such in the right spots, because its a bit tricky to make it as strong because you don't have sides. We have a headache rack we hang all the chains on, and then we have flush mounted d-rings all in the floor.

Roll-off flat bed.jpg

18. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

the state of maine dot has started to use hooklifts for some of their trucks too, mostly bridge crew's trucks

19. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

So you guys that have invested in a hooklift would say its worth it? We are a design/build and snow removal company and have recently been throwing the idea around. Even thought about retrofitting our tri axle. What are the biggest benefits for those that run one? Anything I should consider?

20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Thanks Matt, I saw yours on Avon mtn. Nice! I found a flat bed on Ebay, just got to get it shipped to me from Neb.

Those are the ones I have been looking at. I have to keep looking for a used one.

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO universal. One truck can take the place of 6. Worth every penny with the cost savings in time and versatility. Sometime you have to spend $ to make money. I have a bunch of buddies that have been doing this for years I just didn't want to spend $90k on a new one. So I have been looking and checking my options for the past 2 years.