1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

33",34" x 16" tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sandman309, Oct 11, 2003.

1. sandman309

sandman309 Junior Member
    from indiana

I have been looking for this information for 2 long nights and either over looked or did not find it so I am asking for some help. I'm looking for the best tire to plow with in 33" or 34" ,16". I have read allot about running a skinner tire, but all the info I find is on smaller tires.I have been trying to find some info on the SUPER SWAMPER LTB 34x10.50-16 I have great reviews in the mud but nothing said about the snow. This being a bias ply construction I didn't know if it would plow well or do I need to have radial tires. any information would be greatly appreciated.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Forget about big tires in the snow,they are useless.Tall and skinny is what you want.P235\85R16's are good.If you want to go a little wider,look at a P265\75R16.Anything bigger is a waste.

Forget about the Swampers too.Get a good snow tire,like a Cooper Discoverer M&S.If you want a tire that you can run all year round,look into an All-Terrain instead of a Mud-Terrain type tire.
  3. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

TrXUs tires

Wyldman is steering you right on tall and thin. I do have a set of tires (TrXus)from Interco (makers of the swampers) that are great in snow. They are siped also, so good on wet roads. Very aggressive, but reasonably quiet for an agressive tire. They have large side lugs, which work great if you get into some muck or deep snow. They do offer some taller ones, but watch the width! I am running 265/75/R16 on a GMC 2500 HD, about 400# in the bed and they have been great. These also have high load ratings. Check them out at the Interco website. http://www.intercotire.com/html/trxus_mt___sts.htm
  4. Santo

Santo Banned

Them sizes are height measurements and nothing to do with tread or traction. Listen to the wyldeman.
  5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Find something in a 255/85/16. Tall enough for you and narrow enough to plow with. Stay away from mud tires and stick with a all terrain.
    I have not used them but Explorer Pro Comp has a buy 3 get one free deal available at 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. It is over at the end of this month. Not available in the size I mentioned but available in a 265/75/16E. The All terrain is rated very well in the snow.
  6. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

Those big fat Swampers look nice on 4x4s used for off-roading so you won't find any reference as to how good they are ( or aren't) in the snow simply because that's not what they were designed for. If you're going to use your truck for off-roading, use the Swampers.....if you want to plow snow, then get another set of tires/wheels for plowing/winter. I had 1100/15s on my 4x4 until I drove it for a couple of days on snow-covered roads, then I couldn't get the snow tires on fast enough. The wide Swampers are ok for distributing the weight of the vehicle on soft/sand or mud, but for snow, you need narrow tires to "cut" thru the snow.

Just my $.02 :waving: