1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

???????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowking35, Jun 24, 2000.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

QUESTION: #1 Info on Snow Plowing/Snow Blowing with UNIMOGs. We are looking at a Model 404 with plow& Blower. Do you think it is worth the investment? Can a Ford 350 Diesel Super Duty with Fisher V plow and Hanson Blower give us equal performance, to the UNIMOG.We have about 45 Accounts on steep terrain.<p>Question: #2 Looking for Feed back on Hanson Snow Blowers. Mounted to front of Pick-up Truck ?<p><br>Thank You For Any Help. Tom Church E-Mail: view@alaska.net<br>Tom Church<br>ALYESKA LAND SERVICES ALASKA - Thursday, June 22, 2000 at 13:37:23 (EDT)<p><p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

2. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Believe it or not i had we had a graduation party for my girfriends son and a guest showed up in a Mercedes Unimog era 1962 and it was in mint condition.He told me about a guy that bought 40 of them all with about 30,000 miles on them and selling them for $9000.00 each full canvass and all the bells.He thought i should buy them instead of the 3 or 4 f350s we will purchase this year for plowing.I gotta say it was neat but my concern is reliability.when this thing craps out at 3am where ya gonna go to get it fixed?His response to me was its a mercedes it doesnt break down.if man made it it can break down and that concerns me.If it were me i would look into a Ford ,Chevy or Dodge and the possibility of mounting something to these vehicles.It would probly be cheaper and faster using pushers<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

3. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Believe it or not i had we had a graduation party for my girfriends son and a guest showed up in a Mercedes Unimog era 1962 and it was in mint condition.He told me about a guy that bought 40 of them all with about 30,000 miles on them and selling them for $9000.00 each full canvass and all the bells.He thought i should buy them instead of the 3 or 4 f350s we will purchase this year for plowing.I gotta say it was neat but my concern is reliability.when this thing craps out at 3am where ya gonna go to get it fixed?His response to me was its a mercedes it doesnt break down.if man made it it can break down and that concerns me.If it were me i would look into a Ford ,Chevy or Dodge and the possibility of mounting something to these vehicles.It would probly be cheaper and faster using pushers<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Unimogs are awesome,and i doubt an f550 would perform as well as one,let alone a 350.but like J said,parts are not as easy to find and a lot more money than those for an american truck.unimogs are dogs,but theyll push anything,what motor does it have Dino?I know some have a little 4cyl 1bbl gasser and the top engine is a 5.9 I6 turbo from mercedees and I seen one with a 5.9BTA Cummins,but im not sure if it was factory.it mighta been repowered.A unimog would sure attract attention at the jobsite!<p>----------<br>John D<br>

5. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hello,<p>Unimogs are powerful, maneuvable, and and nice for plowing, but one problem. <p><br>Have any of you driven one for a extended period of time?<p>They are designed for a midget to drive. If you are over 6 ft tall, you will learn to HATE them. One of the most uncomfortable vehicles I have ever been in!<p>As for the passenger seat.......don't know why they even bothered. Unless you are Mary Lou Retton and are praticing for the floor exercise by putting you knees behind your head, you can not expect to put anyone else in the passenger seat for any extended period of time.<p>steveair

6. miketech

miketech Guest

the unimonds were sold by case at one time<br>if case still suppies parts i do not know<br>they are aesome trucks with diff locks<br>and many speeds,dont think they make sense<br>around here.parts problems

7. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

OK guys, i know this discussion is old, but i have some input on this. Last night while i was at our fire department drill, i heard them talking about unimogs. later, during dinner i heard the full story. Our department is the main rescue dept in town. we are on the coast, so we were thinking of getting a pickup or something along that line. well, one of the guys is somehow getting a mog' for free and only has to pay for the shipping from germany ($$$$$) :). the guys also went today to a gov't surplos facility in hartford that has a few mogs' that we might get a good deal on. the one we're looking at even has a 2.5 ton crane on the back! well, just wanted to let you guys know. if we get it i'll take some photos. i want to put a plow on that beast. we might also take delivery of a surplus 6x6.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

8. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I re-read the original post to realize that you have referred a question to the forum put to you Dino. Ah ha!<p>I spent time in Stewart B.C./Hyder Alaska (Yes, I was &quot;Hyderized&quot;) and for the snow that was in that area, I realize this gentleman is looking for some heavy iron to move snow that possibly comes in 2 foot lumps. I have experience with a pin-on snow blower to be used on wheel loaders. The snow blowers have their own engine, and can be lifted and maneuvered within the range of the carrier. They will, without a doubt, out-perform any of the conventional chassis-mounted snow blowers either in power, availability or maneuverability. I have heard good things about Unimogs, but considering the availability and reliability of modern wheel loaders, I'd be chatting up the John Deere salesman.<p>John