1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

318 replacement question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mick, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My '90 Dodge 318 ci needs replaced, so I went to the dealer to price a new one. I was told "they" (the supplier) have a limited number of long-blocks left. I'm being told that I'd get a 3 yr / 36,000 mi warranty. Then I'm being told that they're replacing something about the 318 which makes the current style obsolete and I wouldn't be able to bring it back if anything went wrong. Also, they need a large deposit (their words) before they'd order the engine "since it wasn't returnable". There was a lot of confusion and for awhile it sounded like they wouldn't be making 318s anymore, until I asked what would replace them.

This is a reputable dealership, with a large service department so I'm not questioning integrity. Can anyone help me understand what is happening? How can I have a warranty if I can't take it back if something goes wrong with it? If they're making a better style 318, why don't they just sell me one of those?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Please ignore my post. I contacted the dealer again and got it answered. Turns out the changes were effective with the '91 model. The warranty is still good. The supplier won't take the engine back if the customer changes their mind after ordering.