1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3116 cat running rough when cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by gaspedal, Mar 20, 2005.

1. gaspedal

gaspedal Junior Member
    from 75501

Just purchased a topkick with the 3116 cat. Not sure what horsepower, but when the engine is cold it misses eratically barely running and smokes like crazy. I was going to set the valves and injectors but no one around here could tell me anything about it. The way the engine is set up I cant tell which is intake or exhaust or injector rocker arm. Not sure what the injector setting should be either. I tried to buy a book about the engine from my local cat dealer but he couldnt help me their either. Any suggestions about this problem...
    thanks james
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

how cold is cold, 30, or 0 degrees. i would think that cat would be able to get a book for you. the 3116 is a common engine put in alot of different vehicles. you may need to go to another cat dealer or go to a heavy truck shop and ask where they get there books from. good luck.
  3. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

You might try ebay. I was able to find books on my CAT at a very reasobale price.
  4. "MR.PLOW"

"MR.PLOW" Member

Just try phoning a Cat Dealer, and maybe one of the technicians can give u a few pointers to try. Maybe get the fuel system flushed, maybe the fuel stays partially frozen in the lines, until it wams up. Keep us posted
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. gaspedal

gaspedal Junior Member
    from 75501

Thanks for the suggestions and where to find a good book about the cat, I will give ebay a try. The cold temp I was talking about really isnt that cold, around 50-60 degrees. I started it friday when it was around 70 and it ran alot better. My local cat dealer wouldnt even let me go back to the shop to ask a mechanic, but I will give Longview cat dealer a try.
    thanks again, james