1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3116 Cat diesel... good/bad??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Team_Yamaha, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I am looking at a 94 GMC C8500 tandom axle truck 58,000 GVWR, 14,000 front/40,000 rears with leafs all around. It has a 14' dump with 42" sides (13 yd) and a 3116 Cat (not sure if 250 or 275 hp) mated to a 13 spd. Only has 78,000 miles on it!!!! :eek: I have never had a Cat diesel in any of my equipment before, is this a good motor?? Any known problems? Also with this motor have enough power for the truck, since right now I have a 91 International 33,000 lbs GVWR with a DT360 (180 hp) and a 6+1 tranny with a 6 yd dump. Great truck just gutless as hell when loaded to GVW. Any thoughts would be great!! Thanks
  2. snowflake

snowflake Member

good motor but goin to have same problem with that one as you got with your farmall low on power
  3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Cold Cat

I have a friend who has a few of these in school buses, They are a good engine good mileage good power for a bus, But are hard to warmup in cold weather, They smoke and won't pull till they are really hot.
    It might be a little weak for a truck that heavy unless you like to shift.