1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

31" tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 90plow, Mar 23, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I have a 95 GMC 1500 Short bed and I was thinking about putting 31" tires on will these rub should i get 30"inchers or will they rub too? What is a tire that has decent off road traction and a good on road ride? I was looking at the Mickey thompson Baja MTX. Just tell me what you guys think.
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

31 inch tires should fit no problem, but, those are for 15 inch wheels most likely. You should have 16's on it stock, and most of those are metric. A 265 75R16 is about 32 inches tall and will fit most of those trucks without a problem. BFG All-Terrains are a good combo tire. I personally like mud terrains better, and they don't ride bad at all. Test drive both.

3. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

the 31s will fit with no problem but would defently recomend going to 265-75-16 with bfg mud terrains exlent tire.
  4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I have the all terains on it now and the guy before me put american racing wheels on it I believe they are 15 inchers but i will double check. I dont mind the all terais but they dont hold the raod as well because they are so square on the side walls thats why i was thinking of going wiht the Mickey Thompson's. Tell me what you think of those. Do they have enough tred or will I just get stuck the second I hit a little mud?
    Thanks Eric
    ohh yeah they are the Baja MTX's

Last edited: Mar 24, 2002
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The only problem with the Mickeys is the cost.

Notice there are no prices listed for the "Baja Belted"..... (at the link you posted)
    That's because you will fall off your chair when you see the cost!

Of course you can get the polyester ones for much less....

Mickey's have always been expensive. In fact, not long ago, they were THE most expensive, them and any Dick Cepek tires. I think DC went under though, haven't heard them mentioned in years. Everything they sold was highway robbery.

Well, well, well..... Mickey Thompson bought out DC.
    I just checked at www.dickcepek.com
    When you click on the "dealers link", the page "cannot be found".

Another thing. You might want to get a yard stick and measure how tall your tires are now. That may help put things into perspective a little better size wise.

The BFG's are one of the few tires out there with 3 ply sidewalls, most only have 2.

I put 20,000 miles on a set of BFG Mud T/A's, and they still had a little less than 1/2 tread. Not bad for a "mud" tire.

One thing no one has mentioned..... the BFG Mud T/A's are horrible in the snow..... at least in my experience.

BAck in 1990 when I bought my BFG's, I paid $162 each, for 35 X 12.5 -16.5's. IF I recall correctly, the Mickey T Baja Belted were about $300 each for the same size....

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Hey Chuck
    The tires I was looking at aren't the baja belted they are the
    Baja MTX's They are about 120 I believe which isn't bad for the tire. What do you think of the tread on them they are the last tire listed on the link I attachedhttp://www.natltire.com/ntw0799/pages/mthompson.html#Anchor-We-35882
    I do agree that all of the OTher tires the Company makes are over priced and I will probably go with BF Goodrich's if you dont Think the tread on the Mickey Thompson are that good.
  7. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Those Mickey's don't look bad. Similar lug design to a Cooper Discovery I think. I've never personally had those tires, but have had friends who had, and there was nothing special about them. They were average at best, and anything with a real "mud" tread would do much better. I am running Wild Country Radial TXR's on my 83 chevy and have been VERY happy with them. They do great in the mud, and good in the winter too. They are similar to the BFG Mud Terrain, but with more siping for better performance in the slick stuff. The only problem I have had is that they dig TOO good in deep snow, and it's hard to float at all. A set of chains didn't solve this problem, but instead lets me sort of paddle through it. Hope this helped. The Wild Country brand is sold by Les Schwab tires, which you can find most places out west. Not sure if they're sold elsewhere possibly under a different name. I'd guess 31's should fit no problem.