1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

30x9.5x15 or 235/75r/15

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by tasbm5, Nov 22, 2008.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

hi there are 30x9.5x15 to wide of a tire for plowing or should i go 235/75r/15 ? reason i ask is because i thought i had a good 31x10.50x15 but they sucked trying to plow my driveway today.it's pretty bad when your wife is out on the street showing you up in her patriot.
    thanks terry..

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

maybe the problem is the kind of tire and not the size. I plow with 31X10.5X15 Tires and out push my helper with a F250 (I have Blizzak and he has all season)

3. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

i guess you could be right i was running 235's until recently then i got a lift and tires and now it seems to lack power,traction ,handling ,gas consumption gone through the roof and i was hoping 30's might help. sorry for being so long winded terry..

4. theplowmeister

from MA

You didnt say you had a lift with bigger tires.
    Bigger tires Will
    1) decrease gas mileage
    2) reduce power (unless you change the differential gears)
    3) decrease handling

Lift WILL
    1) decrease gas mileage
    2) decrease handling

traction mainly depends on the tires tread pattern (mud tires not so good), rubber compound.

5. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

ok thanks for the info but would i see much difference between the 30x9.50x15 compared to the 235's ? i was satisfied with my performance from the 235's except for plowing because today was the first day i did it. thanks again terry..

6. theplowmeister

from MA

thats 9.25 Vs 9.50 I dont see much difference in width.

7. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I never thought i would see that much difference in performanceand gas with a 10.50 tire width.

8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I've got 235/75/15s on my Jeep...no complaints yet however they are MasterCraft Glacier Gripps (snow tires).

9. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

redtjx-
    How much did u pay for those tires?

C.

10. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Well, I bought them "used" (as in some guy bought them last year, never used them and then sold them to my with the stickers still on them) for $200, but I think you should be able to get them for about $60-$70 each.