1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

305 to 350 bore

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hellraiser1106, Nov 27, 2002.

1. hellraiser1106

hellraiser1106 Junior Member

Okay, here's my question. I stumbled upon a 305 for free. I really wanted a 350 to build up, but with a free motor you can't expect much. I know the stroke of a 305 and 350 are the same size, there is a .236" difference in bore. Could I buy a 350 rebuild kit and bore out the difference? If so, how much would it cost?

2. long0

long0 Senior Member

Double check that your heads will work with a 350. About 7 yrs ago, I replaced the 305 with a 350 in by K5 blazer. I don't remember the reasoning, :confused: but I had to get different heads because the 305 heads would not work. Something to check.

Andy

3. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

That's WAAAYY too great a difference in bore sizes. You will definitely hit water if you try to bore it that large.

In fact, I've had a couple of 305 blocks that were junk after a 0.060" overbore (they were checked with a sonic checker).

Why not sell the 305 block and buy a 350 block? Since both engines are extremely popular, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to buy and sell for exactly the same price, so you'll still have a "free" engine and it'll be a 350.

DJS

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn Junior Member

FORGET ABOUT IT

You paid exactly what that 305 is worth: $0

Maybe you can sell it for a profit for $50.00, if you find a sucker.

There are plenty of cheap 350's out there.

And, IMO, the best deal is from GM: Brand new 4-bolt 350 for $1299 from Sallie Chevrolet or Scoggin-Dickie.

Both of these dealers have websites and ship nationwide.

KB