1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

305 smoking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81c1500, Jul 20, 2005.

1. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

:dizzy: I have just recently installed an Edelbrock performer plus cam, lifters and push rods. My question is that when I first start the truck I get a plume of white smoke that quickly dissapates and when I start in 1st or 2nd gear I also notice this smoke. I don't notice it at highway speeds. Any ideas. Thanks

I have an 89 305 tbi 5 speed manual, stock exhaust, stock heads.

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

If I remember correctly alot of 305's smoke when first started then it clears up. I think that it had to do with the design of the motor, something was causing the oil to leak back somewhere. I'm sure somebody will give a better explanation

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

a 305 is the same block and heads as the 350- the cam and crank are the major differences. Alot of small blocks smoke on start up, but not white in my experiance, which is water. The gaskets for those engines tend to leak oil, especially valve covers and intake manifold (valley), I would watch you're coolent level. Could be a small leak from the water pump from the work done recently (likely) or a leak that you just noticed because of the work. I always find something different that isn't different when I have service done.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

These engines are notorious for having valve guide seals go bad. They came with only o-ring style seals. The replacement kits came with both the o-ring and mushroom style seals. This cured the problems on both my 305/350 v8s as well as the 4.3 v6s....

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

It's just worn out valve guide seals, like what lawnmedic. It's just oil burning off. It's not really a problem as long as you check your oil on a regualar basis. It's very common on Chevys. My 80 K'10 did and and I know a ton of others that do it as well.

William