1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

305 has a tick (not the parasite kind)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Grshppr, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I've got a 305 in my 1990 Chev 4X4 that has a tick in the upper area of the engine. It is a light sounding metallic tick. I am guessing it is a sticky lifter. It is very spurratic. One day it will do it a lot, then nothing for months, then it will tick for a few minutes out of the blue again. Usually happens when it is warm. Is this something that should be fixed before snow season, or is it not likely a big deal. Oh yeah, the engine has 240,000 well maintained kilometers on it. (150000 miles). Thanks

2. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

tick tick tick!!!
    my dad has a 90 chevy astro van 4.3 FI with the same tick you describe.....it has 143,000 miles on it, well maintained because i do it, and he hasn't and he hasn't had any problems....he's been running it for 2 years now....i'm pretty sure it;s just a sticky valve or lifter......the tick seems to only be there at idle, hot or cold. when you get on the throttle, you can barely hear it......I say throw some Lucas oil stabilizer or equivalent, at your next oil change.....

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't worry about it to much,unless it gets worse.Add a bottle of transmission fluid to the oil before your next oil change and run it for a bit that way.The detergents in the motor oil will help free it up if it's a sticky lifter.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

next time it does it poke around with a mechanics stethescope or a homemade one(peice of tubing) and a long screwdriver or extension stuck to your ear to pin point the sound. If you need more of an explination of what to use or look for let us know.

If its determined to be a sticky lifter the ATF idea can work. Get the motor up to temp and dump a quart in there and run it for 10 minutes or so. They change your oil. It can losen up all kinds of crud too. It might be a rocker arm that is lose too......pull the valve covers if you are pretty sure its in the valvetrain to check em before you do the clean out.

Probably not a big deal. It might also be a oil filter problem....what you using and how many miles on your oil change? Is it at idle or what?

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

and whats your oil pressure? and what weight oil you using? it only happens when warm? or at initial start up too?

6. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I heard the same thing but to drain the old oil out 1st then add a bottle of tranny fluid let the engine run for a bit then drain it out and do your oil change. Some say tranny fluid isnt liquid enough to get into the valves.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if you run the engine with one qt of trans fluid its going to do more than a little ticking probaly alot of knocking

trans fluid is thinner than motor oil

try poring oil when it 20 degrees out
    then try pouring trans fluid

the oil is thicker

cardoctor

if its not broken dont fix it

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

One quart of tranny fluid will not affect the viscosity of the oil very much,but the detergents will do wonders for the internal parts of the engine.I've been doing it for many years,and never had a problem.

9. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Ticking..

So with old oil in add a quart of tranny fluid let the truck run for 5 or 10 mins then drain it all that should resolve a bit of ticking?

Oil on the valve cover's is a sign of what besides old age since its a 96. I have cleaned it off but it just gets oily again.

10. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I figured it was not a huge deal. It is so infrequent any way. I have to change the oil soon so I'll try the trans fluid idea.

Thanks again.
    :drinkup:

11. David Smith

David Smith Member

I put 2 qts. of ATF in my oil a day or two before changing the oil, and have done so for the past 5-6 years.
    Works wonders, cleans the internal parts, and is a lot less "harmful" than those products that are sold at the auto parts store (GUNK).
    My truck has 198k miles, and makes no noises other than the ones that it's supposed to make (no knocks/pings/ticks/etc).
    But I also do regular maintanence, not waiting until it "needs" it.

Of course, I could also just be lucky :)