1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3046r Summer Ideas

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NickSnow&Mow, Oct 6, 2016.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hey guys, I won't go into too much detail because it's a little complicated but I might have the opportunity to rent a second tractor similar to my 3046r (older 3720 or 3520) for $3500 a winter, when it would normally cost $7500. The only catch is that I wouldn't be able to rent out my 3046r in the summer and I have no work for it right now. I would obviously only do this if I get over 100 customers this winter (I have 50 right now). Basically I'm looking for job ideas to possibly bid for the tractor next summer. I plan on keeping the mowing at a reasonable level so i'll have more time for landscape type jobs.
    Thanks, Nick

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We have 100k worth of wheel loaders that sit all summer.

Price winter accordingly and leave it sit. If things come up to use it, that's just a bonus.

3. NickSnow&Mow

I agree. For the amount of work it does I can justify my tractor sitting in the summer no matter what. It would take too long to explain but basically renting this other tractor would disqualify me from renting my tractor out in the summer. The question is if/when I can justify a second tractor and what bonuses should I go after for mine in the summer.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I do not understand the logistics of how renting another tractor for a winter will disqualify you from renting your out in the summer...

Can you take a back road approach to rent this other tractor and put it in someone else name or create an additional company to rent this with?

Just trying to think outside of the box here.

5. NickSnow&Mow

it wouldn't be through an official company is why. Basically it would be me renting a tractor off the person who currently rents my tractor in the summer and they only need one tractor. Don't worry about that, I just need summer time ideas.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What attachments do you have for it?

You could get a rear mounted tiller - there is a guy in my area that tills garden plots for people.

You could get a brush hog - mowing vacant lots and clearing overgrown areas.

You could get a rear blade - grade gravel driveways for people.

You could get a 3 point log splitter and split wood for people.

Go to a tractor supply store and look at all the attachments and look for work for the machine that you can do with the attachments?...

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

At 75 driveways I would want a spare tractor regardless... just incase tractor 1 broke down... 75 driveways is a lot to do by hand lol...

But seriously look into rotary mowing, it's fun and low risk and can pay well if u do it right