1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

302 gets 8 mpg plowing. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by krazy, Dec 16, 2005.

1. krazy

krazy Junior Member
    from MN

1994 ford extendcab with 302 auto got 8 mpg plowing last tank. Somewhat normal or low. It did idle some as well. Just thought I would ask..thanks,

2. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Thats pretty normal. My 88 bronco with 351w auto would avg. about 8-10 with plow or about 12 without. Just learned to live with it.

All_Clear

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your running the engine right in the big power section of the power curve.
    Plus you hardly ever get out of second gear when pushing and your turning all the drive train. That's a very acceptable mileage.Some trucks even use a quart of oil in 8 hours too.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I wish I could get that good of gas mileage with my Dodge 360. I usually get around 5 MPG at best but it's usually less than that.:cry: :cry:

5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I would say thats about right. Heck our shop truck, a 94 F-150 4X4 300-6/5spd, with 4.10 gears gets about 11 mpg running around town and about 9 mpg idling and pulling my old 763 (now S185) to jobs in the winter.