1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

300 tons of salt needed - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jasonjones, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jasonjones

jasonjones Junior Member

Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on 300 tons of salt?
    I heard someone in Michigan can ship me some, but I was looking for something a little closer. Any ideas?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fat chance, sorry. MI is out, Wisconsin is out or tied up by the state, everybody is in a world of hurt right now with regards to salt supplies. Nasty weather, ice storms, extended storms, above average snowfall and you have a perfect recipe for salt shortages.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :eek:
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

It's a long hual but I know there are good supplies remaining in Oswego NY....
  4. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Try St Louis
  5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Friend of mine just got 200 ton from Kentucky. He could not find any closer with a decent deal on the trucking.

ISCOSALT Junior Member

International Salt Company has plenty of packaged salt available to ship to Chicagoland.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  7. Mark Oomkes

You're going to ship 300 tons of packaged salt to this guy? I'm thinking he wants bulk. I know there isn't any way I'd be handling close to 300 pallets of bagged material.
  8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Morton has cut off everyone but state dot in IL and I here Wisc is going to IL for salt.Tomorrow we are driving 3 of our trucks down to Louisville for salt. But I did hear of a place in crystal lake that will sell salt for 175.00 per ton ,you pick up.
  9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow everyone is in the same boat ! Most our suppliers are limiting quantity's to everyone if they have any. I finally was promissed 50 tons yesterday but they only droppped 30.......but its salt. Still trying for a couple more trains. Most people will not even talk to ya if they are not your main supplier
  10. bfh

bfh Junior Member
    from Chicago

What is everyone paying for bulk salt per ton?
    If anyone is interested I can get $120 - $130 a ton delivered to the Chicagoland area (100 ton minimum) .

Let me know if anyone is interested.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

FWIW... try Minnesota. We haven't had squat for snow or ice this year.

I know even my suppliers for bagged material are shipping it elsewhere, just to move the stuff.

There's a Cargill supplier I think here.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

also try.http://www.cutlermagner.com/salt/

Cutler Magner Company’s salt division processes agricultural salt products, water conditioning salts and deicing salt for the greater seven state region surrounding the Twin Ports of Duluth-Superior. These salt products are available in bulk, in various sized bag weights and in 50 lb blocks.

For pricing and the full range of salt products available call 218-722-3981 or 800-232-1302.
  13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, them too.... been meaning to get up there to try some of their products... dirt cheap as far as bagged goes.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Looks like Ron got his wish to come true. :dizzy: