1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

30+ in cape cod anything that could did!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpunlimited, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

I called in help before it started and had it all lined up. 6pm sat. I was on site for the long haul. I drive a jeep and knew if I fell behind on this one it was over! my help was set to arive at midnight to come on like the cavelry! we were ready. he came onsight at 1:00am because it was coming at 3 inches per hour. I was behind when he showed 10 passes later we were kicking ass...then his oil light came on and it was over for him we did not have anough to keep him from blowing the motor. so he filled it and headed to the shop. I fought the good fight til 4:30 a.m and it was falling at 8 inches in 75 minute(updates coming from my wife home alone). I became stuck with chains on! I called it and headed for a pass on two residencials. on the way it was a wall of white. I became lost. when I realized where I was I knew I was sleep walking. I made one pass and was stuck in the middle of nowhere. I shoveled and got free. what I did not know was that I busted a chain off. I went to my last stop and tried to get in, I could not. I had to shovel out of that lot. I went home. the guy I hired to plow my site(home) had failed also a 1ton chevy and he was a vet of plowing. at 5a.m. I told him to stop.
    Day 2 the storm raged and the patriots won! day three our hard work payed off. both of us had made lanes that held. we have the front end loaders coming and I failed to clear the storage sites. on the 3rd day I plowed out 2 pregnant woman and people who needed oil deliverd, and it gave me new sense of accomplishment.
    the quick: my pump froze, my battery could not keep up. I broke both my chains. this was my first year plowing and I would like to thank you guys for your info because when the bad stuff happened I recognized it and move on.
    I now have a profound respect for you guys who do this every day and year after year. thank you. I may sell my plow this year because this is hard core. pictures to follow :cry:
  2. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

Some lessons are learned the hard way. If you are serious about this business, and want to improve, change what didn't work. A "Professional" learns from his mistakes. I will only "Bash" those who don't learn from their mistakes, or give up without trying. Good luck next time.
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It was difficult but i managed. I almost got "lost" many times too thank god for the 48" driveway markers at all my drives.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know how you did all that in something as light as a jeep. Great
  5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Don't be too hard on your self. You got a nice looking rig that should handle the adverage storm with ease. I bet you had a lot of company in the " couldn't keep up department". There is not much you can do when you have weather conditions such as you had. I was sweating it at first with the weather forcasts. Luckly we only got about 16".

6. jpunlimited

I have to think about it.

I do learn. and you are right if I do not adapt then I deserve the bashing. what I need to do is choose my accounts carefully. I now wonder if the larger accounts are worth it. there is no room to move the snow and it becomes impossibe.
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

What can ya do, we are ALL fighting a LOOSING BATTLE in a storm like this. You do the best you can then when the snow stops and the sun comes out and you can finally see where the hell everything is, you worry about details. I consider myself very lucky to have made it through sat night without a problem, not getting lost or stuck it was a battle by no means easy.
  8. jpunlimited

man what a feeling when you know you have lost the battle. today at a larger storage site (same company ) different plow contractor. they pulled out the two front end loaders and gave up. there is no place to put the snow. so in the end the two sites I handled where passable and will ge the mail. (when and if it finally comes) they said they wher getting a larger machine. I can't wait to see that!
  9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

JP don't be so quick to decide on selling your plow. I've been plowing for the past 17 years with only Jeeps - 11 years with a 78' CJ7, and 6 years with my current 97' TJ. First couple of seasons are the learning phase, it does get better so don't give up so easily if this is your first year plowing. The Jeep is totally capable. Don't take on too many regulars, that's the key.
    Good luck. :waving:
  10. jpunlimited

thanks guys

I actually got some sleep last night and the sun is out today. I think I would need a large bobcat in the stable for the future Nor easters.
  11. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

What you do is go to your local Chevy/GMC dealer, get a 2500HD pickup, custom color, put your business name on the door, go to a Fisher or Boss or Western or Arctic or Everest snowplow dealer, purchase a front plow, and sander. Maybe even a wing plow. Then start your business and do some heavy duty plowing. Also purchase a used spare truck. Chevy 3500/C30 1-ton for a spare truck.
  12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Now why would you recommend this when he is thinking of leaving the business??? Right now it seems like he has a good thing going with his current jeep set up... He can do the storage sites, and residential, it is just that he experienced his first Big storm in his first year plowing... that can be discouraging, but everybody has that sinking feeling in these types of storm no matter what type of equipment you have. I would think he should just finish up the season and then think about it in the off season, and make a rational decision... weigh the good with the bad... Just because he could not keep up in one MAJOR snow storm you do not have to go out an purchase a bunch of equipment. If his current equipment works 95% of the time is the 5% work all the extra investment???
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

with 30" of snow i am amazed you kept up as good as you did. i bet if you check around there are alot of other plowers that just said screw it and went home. we got 1 ft here it it was hell at times. i would back drag parking spots and almost get stuck on the piles, i could feel my truck high centered on the skid plate rocking back and forth. the only think to do was lift the plow to get more weight and give it some gas to chew through the snow. and next year, i will have much better tires.
    a bobcat would help alot, and you could get a blower for it, with that much snow it is the best way to do it. heck, get an inclosed cab with heat and a/c, a radio, and have some fun. :)