1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

30 cm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snate, Nov 16, 2002.

1. snate

snate Junior Member

I guess I will find out tonight, 30 cm predicted.
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

you guys and the metric system!
  3. Nova

Nova Member

30cm = 11.8 inches.

I think it'll be more like 15-20 though.. which is about 6-8".

Not bad for the first snowfall of the year!

Good Luck!
  4. Nova

Nova Member

You sound awfully familiar.. is your name Lorne?
  5. casey

casey Banned

The general consensus now seems to be 15cm.

My bet is 5 or less.
  6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

This must be the Canadian channel! glad to know some guys are getting white stuff be sure to send us your leftovers. Thanks!
  7. casey

casey Banned

8. snate

snate Junior Member

Looks like 20cmor 8"

Someone got my name right, been out since 3 am and finished by 10. Crazy out there. It's nice to be out plowing!
    Guess I have to go out again. See Ya.
    By the way is that you Pete?
  9. Nova

Nova Member

Yup.. it's me! How are you handling the snow? :)

Went out at 6am, got home at 12pm. Round one complete.

Heading out tonight.. probably 9ish since it's supposed to end this evening, total accumulation 20-25cm. It's been coming down hard all morning and it's not letting up.. so casey, you lose!

Ah well, it's nice to be out again. Have a good one guys.

Lorne, I'd tell you to call me but my phone got disconnect.. I'll see ya around though, don't be a stranger.. I'm not with dyke anymore.
  10. snate

snate Junior Member

JUst finished my second spin pete, and its like 9pm now, I wasn't really thinking when I left at 3am. All my cutomers thought I skipped them.
    It's good to hear you finally left the *****. I'll see you around, take care.
  11. casey

casey Banned

What do you mean 20-25cm?

We got no more than 12 cm total in TO after it settled due to moistness. The morn. & aft. fall settled into the night's fall. You plowed 10 cm twice, instead of 12 cm once.

I skipped the early run, started at 10:30. Like you said most customers don't even know you were there if you come while the snow's falling.

All res. though.
  12. snate

snate Junior Member

20-25 cm

I work in Richmond Hill, I'm sure it was at least 20 cm. It was kind of stupid to plow it twice. It's my first year and I got all paranoid that everyone who woke up would have seen that I had been there. Too bad it just got worse afterwards.
  13. Nova

Nova Member

We got more out north of Toronto in Richmond Hill.

Don't worry too much about going out twice, everyone did.

Overall it was fun, the only problem I have with these early snowfalls is the temp. too high, you run over what you backdragged on the road and it sticks to the road, takes longer to scrape that off the road than it does to plow the driveway, not to mention all the tripping the plow does.
  14. casey

casey Banned

I don't understand why the res. guys go out in the middle of the night or early am. when there is less than half of a 20cm storm down. They end up plowing twice & 90 percent of res customers won't even know you did the early morn. run.

Commercials I can understand but double plowing res. contracts for a 20cm storm is a waste.
  15. snate

snate Junior Member

Problem is when you have 150 residential customers everyone thinks your forgetting them. So when they leave for work in the morning and see snow they get pissed. Also by the time the city comes and does the roads there is a lot of snow accumulated. Usually you are just cleaning the snow left by the city drivers the second time.
  16. Nova

Nova Member

Snate is right.

I'd rather do 10cm twice than 20cm at once, so I'll fly through the first run and use the second run to clean things up more.

Around here you have to go out after the city plows anyway to clean up the end of the driveways.

In the end, I really don't mind because this is what I love to do.
  17. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I saw a white 4 door Dodge with a Western on it at 4 a.m. Sunday morning in the Bathurst & 16 th Ave area, was that you? I sent you a "private message" a few days ago and have seen you haven't checked your messages yet.