1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 year old e-58 problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ribslandmgmt, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Ribslandmgmt

Ribslandmgmt Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have a 8ft stainless steal lot pro with wings on it.
    When cold out, it would barely move. So I changed fluid with low temp fluid (twice). Still functions extremely slow. Plow also moves back and forth on its own (truck swing) without angling it left or right.

Advice? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did you drain rams when you changed fluid? Is raise slow also or just angle? What do the filters look like? Do a pressure test? Connections clean? Blade moving back and forth would point to crossover being shot but that will not effect up. If it is icing you could have ice in the crossover letting the blade move around.

3. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

i had my fluid changed at the beginning of the year and i cleaned the rams as well. The day it was -32 with the wind chill it would barely move whether it was up or down or left or right. So now i think i may have a bent ram cause it creaks when it goes left or right. And i think the Meyer is only good for -10 maybe. So i think it was just so cold that whatever moisture was in it just froze cause mine came out the breather.

4. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

how do I do a pressure test along with cleaning the Rams?

5. kimber750

Need a T fitting to go inline of the right angle ram and gauge capable of at least 3000psi. To drain the rams jack the plow up, disconnect angle hoses and push the blade to push the fluid out of the rams. Have a friend you don't like very much hold the hoses for you. Thumbs Up Do this until no more fluid comes out.

6. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

Ok awesome that helps a lot. I have a couple other questions...

How much fluid should be in the pumps?
    Is there anywhere else excess fluid should come out of other than the drain hole?
    When I'm done putting the new fluid in, How should I go about letting all the air out?

7. kimber750

Some where around 2 quarts should refill it when draining the rams. Would get 3 quarts to be safe. Fill to within 1-1 1/2" of the fill hole. No where for excess fluid to go except out the vent plug. To get air out operate the plow. Lift plow just high enough that you can angle it. Let the pump run against relief at the end of each direction for a second, this helps mix the air into the fluid. Put lift ram all the way down and check fluid level. Be careful since they can build pressure when bleeding air off and give you a bath. Repeat process until you get all the air out.

8. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

ok so an update. I got through the whole process. Plow runs much smoother and is also faster. I didn't use 2 quarts though. I only really used a little over 1qt. It was -20 out today in northeast Ohio and I moved the plow this morning and it was "better". It definitely warmed up faster.

I bled out Rams completely along with the pump as much as possible. I'll have to get a pressure test soon. But overall it's defnetly better but why didnt it take 2 quarts like you said?

Edit: it still swings back and forth on its own..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. kimber750

Is it angling? Could still have a bad crossover if you are sure you got all the air bleed out.

10. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

yes it's Angling pretty well considering how cold it is. How do I fix the crossover?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  11. kimber750

Rebuild it. There some pretty good vids on youtube showing how or you can buy one of the one-piece crossovers.

12. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

what's the crossover valve assembly. I have 2 e-58s and wondering if that would be an investment?

13. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Ribs..... your E-58H has a 1 piece non adj. cross over cartridge located under the valve block. Being that your E-58h is only 3 years old you shouldn't be having these issues. I also doubt your cross over cartridge is failing, you most likely still have air in the system. If you properly drained the entire system you should have used Close to 2 quarts of M1 hydraulic fluid. I personally haven't seen a 1 piece cross over cartridge fail yet... which have come standard on E58H 's since their introduction in 2006/2007. Try bleeding the system again, make sure you completely drain the hydraulic unit, hoses, and rams.

14. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

Update- I just went to take my plow off and I go to un plug it and I see brand new hydrolic fluid dripping from the bottom of the pump. Does that mean there's still air in it? I Swear I thought I got it all out...what gives?

15. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: im in southern ohio .bring it by the shop and I can look at it and check presser for you at no charge , i have mosts parts it stock to fix it . 1 peice cross over ,seal kit ,no new gear pump. but I don't see it being that ,being only 3 years old .Chillicothe ohio 45601 .top seal leaking ,water in system ...

16. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Im unfamiliar with the E58, does it have the check ball and spring behind the drain plug like the E60? Its far too easy to not see it come out with the stream of fluid when you pull the plug. I fought with a problem where my plow wouldnt hold angle like the OP when I first got it. Turned out that the previous owner didnt know about the check ball either.

Another thing, you need to get the angle rams pointed downhill to bleed all the air out of them. You want the fittings well above the end with the ram if possible. A steep hill can do this, as can a driveway with a steeper transition to the road. I can usually put my truck on my driveway and drop the blade down onto the street and angle back and forth to clear the air out.

17. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The procedure you were given to clean out ice/water is good, but never 100% effective. It also doesn't address where the water entered from. I suggest adding some automotive gas line antifreeze (methyl alcohol) into the pump's reservoir.

18. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

Ok, but why is it leaking fluid? Is it becaue of the uneeded air inside the pump? Should I take the plow off and change the fluid so I can tip the plow and just so I can move it around more so I can get as much oht

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The pump draws fluid from the bottom of the reservoir where there is only air if the level drops all the way to the bottom. If you have an inlet screen that is being plugged by ice, then it will be creating a vacuum to the pump, which could be causing it to draw in AIR. Mixing air in with the hydraulic fluid can cause it to froth and EXPAND, overflowing the vent.

The hydraulic system is FULLY 100% SELF BLEEDING. You do not need to worry about getting air out of the system. You only need to worry about removing WATER from the system, or at least preventing the water from causing you any harm.

I understand where you are coming from with the idea of turning everything upside down. It is probably a bit excessive, and won't be as effective as you are hoping. The best way to work water out of these things is to change the fluid in them in the fall. Gas line antifreeze should hopefully get you through the rest of the season (unless there is an actual intake air leak). When it is fall, add a LOT of gas line antifreeze, and work the thing back and forth, up and down MANY times to pick up all the water, then drain everything IMMEDIATELY, remove the top cap and reservoir from the pump, pull out the lift cylinder, and scoop EVERYTHING out of the bottom of the pump, then reassemble and refill.

20. Ribslandmgmt

from Ohio

Ok this helps a lot. Thanks man. I'm gunna pull it in my shop, let it heat up, then do this. I need this plow asap and ready to roll. Lol