1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 Vbox Questions ..... Please Help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by newlooklandscp, Jan 23, 2006.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

The three following questions are for those guys out there with Vboxes. I just purchased a 8' Buyers SS for my F450 Dump and love it. But ......

First Question is - The spreader did not come with spot lights so my question is, where is a good location for them and should I put one or two? Should I wire them up so they only go on when the spreader is on or put them on a separate switch? Any one have any pictures for reference?

Second Question is - I DON'T own a bobcat/skid steer so does anyone have an ingenious way to load the box without one?

Third Question is - Who out there has a Steel frame around the lower part of the chute to prevent damage when backing up? If you do can you post a pic?

Thanks for All your Help,
    Ken

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

1 our light is mounted on top of the motor cover. wired to a switch.
    2 if you have a fork lift you could get the 1 ton seed bags we use(previous thread)
    3 do you really need protection around the chute? i have no need to back up close to anything.

good luck!

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

why ????

Ok 1 Why did you buy a buy a v box if you cant load it?
    2 Do you have contracts that need it?
    3 Are you out of your mind or just wana spend money?
    :dizzy:

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you feel you are going to use the lights 12 months a year I would mount 2 of them under the box and wired to a seperate switch.

Even if you had a bobcat do you have a dry place to store salt. A loader is the only way I know of.

Considering the salter will through salt at least 12' behind the truck I see no need for the protection unless you are plowing and feel you are going to hit something.

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 2 Tractor Utility Lights, one on each side bolted to the back angle frame of the vbox. I have them wired to my parking light with just a push-pull connector. Cheap and easy.

In my area there are a few Landscape Supply Yards that sell and load salt or mix. You just have to adjust your use to thier hours of opperation.

I don't use a guard of any kind on my shute. I do have a piece of aluminum channell bolted to the back of the shute with the flexiable plow markers bolted to it to see how close I am to objects. Cement trucks use a simular set up.

Trial and error, you will have to find out what work best for your situation.

6. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Buyers has a provisional wire dedicated to running auxiliary lights on there v-boxes. I believe its white and it will only come on when the spreaders ignition is turned on. Check your manual for the wire location. The ground will be the spreader itself. If you have a dump you may want to make a bar that stretches from one tailgate latch to the other so that it crosses the complete width of the truck. On that bar or angle iron piece we mount a series of 3 or 4 mudflaps to protect the truck from salt and also auxiliary tail lights since the flaps usually cover the tail lights. The cross bar would be a good place to locate a work light or two if you don't plan on using it year round. We don't do anything to protect the chute but you could add some boxed steel to the cross bar as well that extends out and around the chute but I wouldn't think you would need it. I could take some pics of our set-up if you would like.

7. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Thanks

Jay Brown,
    Thanks for the replay and as for chute protection, well I'm not driving the truck and the suggestion was given to me by my salt supplier. He does it just in case one of his drivers backs into something. I also do some condo associations where there are some retaining walls and such, where it is pretty tight for a dump. So sometimes you just can’t trust other people driving and well mistakes happen too. A steel brace to take the hit or replace the entire smashed up chute? So it was just an idea. Thanks Again.

Fernalddude.
    I purchased the Vbox because my accounts (most of which I picked up this year) are zero tolerance. The accounts that I had last year were fine for a tailgate spreader but this year the amount of salt needed and coverage was to great. I was burning through way to much bagged salt and the coverage wasn’t all that great. So the jump from a tailgate spreader (w/ crappy bag salt) to a Vbox where I don’t have to move bags anymore with great coverage was the way to go. Another reason I purchased the Vbox was I have a 24/7 supplier (a fellow landscaper that live 2 blocks from me) and it works out good between us. I don’t have to purchase a skid steer and I save money by buying bulk and not using bags. And yes sometimes I am out of my mind.

cet,
    I’m not sure I would use the lights all year so I most likely put them on the spreader. Yes I do have a place to store salt I just haven’t gotten around to purchasing a skid steer yet. I don’t want to spend 10,000 on a used piece of sh*t when I would rather save up and purchase a new CAT or Holland. I would rather have new that spend money on used. Thanks again for your help.

Fortydegnorth,
    Thanks I did not know that buyers has that set up already. That’s probably the way I’m going to go, find the wire, bolt some lights up and away I go. I like the idea of protective flaps since I noticed on Saturday morning there was salt build up from the previous nights work. When you have time, if you could take a few pictures so I could get an idea of how to mount some flaps to the truck that would be great. But no rush on your part. Thanks again, Ken

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

#1 Mount the lights out of the way. I usually try to keep them under something to keep them from getting cleand off by something falling or by somebody stepping on something they shouldn't. I like to mount the lights under the hopper near one of the supports and they are wired so that they only run when the spinner is on.

#2 Buy form somebody that will load it till you can afford you own machine or make arrangements to keep your pile someplave that somebody has the means to load it.

#3 I have found that through experience with 5 sanders(past & present) that keeping the spinner high not only protects it from getting hit but it helps to cover more area and give a better spread pattern.

Here is a pic of the back of one of my units.

Back of sandr.jpg

10. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Just an idea we used.... we mounted stop turn tail lights,marker lights and backup lights to rear top of spreader ,we made a short harness with a trailer plug and plugged it right into the trailer outlet works great ,no need to wire into cab with separate switch....

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Just out of curiousity, do any companies sell their v-boxs with good lights already set up and ready to go?

12. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

On my dump the lights on the sander are wired along with the strobes on the top, so when plowing the lights are all on, giving greater visibility while plowing also. along with lights on the sander there are also 2 lights mounted near the trailer hitch area for even more illumination.

you can plow alot faster if you can see where you are going in reverse insted of trying to see with inadequate lighting.

13. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Im gonna go ahead and order the utility lights from Angelo's. Probably put 4 on all together and wire them to the spreader iginition switch. Anyone suggest a paticular light or place to order from? I dont think I need Brake lights or turn signals since all 4 of mine are very visable along with the 4 oval strobes on the rear. Im just looking into being able to actually see the salt when were spreading. Does anyone else know if buyers does have a designated wire to hook spot lights too? I'll take a pic of the back of my truck this weekend and let me know what you guys think.

Ken

14. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i would reccomend rigging them so they can be turned on when spreader is off.

its always nice to have the option.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I've seen multiple people load salt boxes using a grain auger.

It's not the quickest and requires you to shovel grain into the auger mouth. But you can't go wrong for the price of a used grain auger.

16. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Any one have any pics of there lights mounted on a Buyers Stainless Steel 8'? I also looked to see if I can wire the lights to the spreader wire loam and I dont think it is possible. Looks like I am going to have to run a loam and new switch in the truck. Not a big deal. But I was just looking for some suggestions on where to mount the light or light(s) on this particular spreader.

Thanks,
    Ken

17. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

can you post the link to that Angelo's place..Ive heard they have nice products and good prices...thanks..

18. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The four inch Flood or Tractor type lights are usually readily available at any good automotive supply house or truck parts supplier. If you dont have any near you this is a link to a very good supplier. www.awdirect.com

As far as tapping into the ignition on the sander I would recommend tapping into the lead that goes to the electric clutch instead. That way they are on only when the spinner is running. Most states have laws that prohibit the use of rearward facing "white" lights and you will want to leave the sander running between jobs sometimes and it is illegal for one and a pain in the ass for the person following you.

20. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

One last question. Taping into the lead for the electric clutch isnt a problem. My question is .... with the current from the 2 lights and the clutch together be to much for the 10 amp fuse on the buyers controller? Will the small 16 gauge wires running in the wiring harness be to small to carry the power needed? If so, Im just gonna run another wiring harness from the fuse box with a switch on it, but if I dont have to it would save me a lot of time.

Ken