1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3" trigger...with pre-salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

So, I get approached by my local rescue squad to bid the snow removal this year. Their specs call for servicing at 3" and every 3" after that. They also want pre-salt. I'm not really sure how this should be handled. If it snows 5" am I to assume I'd plow at 3" and not go back for the 2??? If I pre-salt and it doesn't snow 3" then I guess I'd have to charge because a 2" event is not covered under their specs. I tried to get clarification from them but that got me nowhere, and they approached me last night and bids are due Friday. I'm just curious as to how anyone else would approach this...I was thinking writing it up as a zero tollerance and telling them it's the only way I'll do it. Any ideas?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

You've got a lot of ground to make up between 3" and zero tolerance.

Are you set-up for liquid anti-icing? You would need to set up separate billing for anti or de-icing versus plowing, or give a seasonal price to the agreed-upon specs.
  3. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

In our area I have found that most people want a 2" trigger or 3" trigger however, they do not know what 2 or 3 inches really is. Generally what they really want is for you to plow it whenever it looks like you could actually push something. I really don't put much thought or concern into the whole trigger depth amounts. We just plow when it needs plowed and salt after each event and some before. I am sure some areas are different but this is what I have found.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

3 inch trigger at a fire/rescue building? That's gotta be a joke. See what happens if it snows 2 3/4 inches and you don't show.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

That's messed cause the presalt could make it melt
    So you might have 3" on the grass and an inch of slop on the parking lot
    Which you can't plow yet

that called the want their cake and eat too heck they want you to feed it to them also

You presalt you plow when you deem it required to plow
    And you salt after. You invoice and smile.

If budget is a concern going seasonal is a great solution

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Completely agree. Some think in their mind during summer, 2"? No problem. Then when there is 1 inch on the pavement they are calling saying there is a foot and where the hell are you.

We do a couple fire station and all have 0" tolerance with salting if it rains when cold.
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I wouldn't be too worried about it. In your contract have it be say something to the effect total snow accumulation are to be measured by contractor. And if your area gets 3" plow, don't worry what that lot has go off the surrounding pavement. I think the pre-treat is more just to prevent icing and packing of the snow. And fire trucks and ambulances wont be getting stuck, they have on the spot tire chains and can go places you wish you could. As long as you are preforming your duties per the contact it will be difficult to pin you for being negligent in the event a rescue vehicle gets stuck.
  8. JTVLandscaping

The problem here is it's a seasonal bid. The pre-salting makes me think I'll be in there every time it flurries, but the 3" rule tells me I'll be in there half as much. I honestly am racking my brain to calculate my cost for this. The only way I can do it is go zero tollerance and plan to be there all the time. I guess I'll just price it that way. If I don't get it then it can be someone else's headache. I've already lost the bid here 2 years in a row, but they had no specs then. I wrote my own specs and bid them. I'll probably just do that again. Thanks everyone for the help, I truly appreciate it!
  9. JTVLandscaping

I already told the board of directors this...what happens in an ice storm?