1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3" trigger for sanding!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by berkshiremnts, Feb 5, 2007.

1. berkshiremnts

berkshiremnts Junior Member

How would anyone handle this? I plow/sand a 1mile paved, steep windy road to a utlity site. The present contract calls for sanding ANY frozen precipitation. January was all sanding in the Berkshires. On February 2nd received a fax stating the contract spec will be changed so all future sanding will be at 3" (the same trigger for plowing).

My inital repsonse was how about the ice storms, and squals that will make the road unsafe and more difficult to plow. Also my bid was based on the specs of sanding ANY frozen preceipitation.

Again how should I handle the proposed change? I'm told by a supervisor read section, paragrah where we can make any changes to the contract during the year.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah contracs suck but do what they want because they wont pay for anythign else so just plow and sand everything at 3 inches and dont worry about anythign else

3. Rickco

Rickco Member

Don't sweat it. Wait until they call with a 1/2 of ice on there road and have a truck or 2 that cant get up or slid off coming down. Idiot bean counters.
    BTW where are you? I'm in Becket

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3" of what? Snow depth shouldn't have anything to do with need for sanding. That made no sense.

5. berkshiremnts

3" sanding trigger

I'm up in Plainfield.

Should only sand when 3" of snow!

6. Mick

from Maine

Why? I'm still not getting it. If you said only PLOW when 3" of snow, that makes sense. Do you put the sand ON TOP of the snow?

7. berkshiremnts

3" trigger for sanding

Mick,

In the original contract sanding was performed when any frozen precipitation fell and snow plowing started at 3". Now they want to change the contract so sanding will only be done after 3" of snow, which naturally would first be plowed. I attempted to explain that numerous 1" and 2" storms packed down would make the road dangerous and more difficult to plow. I also stated more sand would be needed because of the road not being clear at the start.

Does this make it more clear for you? Any thoughts appreciated.

8. Mick

from Maine

I understand what you're saying - it just doesn't make any sense. Whether There is no snow (as in rain turned to ice) or 12", the need for sanding is the same. The need for sanding is dependent on road conditions, temps, etc - the depth of the snow that WAS there is irrelevant. I think your customer is simply frustrated and trying to save money but not thinking about what he's saying. Is it possible that by making this change, he's paying for sanding, but not plowing since it "naturally would first be plowed" first in order to sand?

There has to be more to the story.

Originally, what happened to snowfall up to 3"? Was it plowed in order to sand, but not charged as a plowing? Or did you not do anything to snowfall up to 3"? So, then how did you decide to sand?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  9. berkshiremnts

3" sanding trigger

Mick,

I think you are right about a frustrated customer. January brought many sanding events but no plowing.

Until this modification any ice or snow up to 3" was only sanded. When snow storms were more than 3" snow was plowed and at the end of plowing the road was sanded.