1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 times out and broke all ready

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by snowworks, Feb 2, 2008.

1. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

well I have to say I'm more than a little pissed off.

I put a snoway 22 on my liberty a few weeks back and only plow my drive and a few others. I'm not abusive what so ever I noticed the last time out that when i had the down pressure engaged that when i lifted the blade a clicking/ popping sound I still don't know what was the cause of that, so needless to say I didn't finish plowing with the down pressure.

So today i decided to pull off the plow and as im taking it off the jeep I noticed hydraulic fluid in the snow left on the plow on the drivers side cylinder that moves it right to left. I clean off the snow with the remote hooked up to the outside i lifted the blade and didn't notice any fluid loss but when i moved it right to left I noticed loss..

Now I first thought it was a loose fitting that I could have lived with but no it seems under the fitting on the cylinder there is a pin hole and when it moves left to right its spiting from the cylinder itself. now before you say i hit something NO I haven't like I said I'm not abusive and I don't use this for commercial plowing in anyway I have no time, and if i hit something it would have taken the fitting itself out to hit the cylinder where this hole is.

I really have no idea what caused this cylinder to fail the way it did and i really hope this isn't a hint to what the future holds for this plow. so i guess we'll see what the dealer has to say about this..

I will say if i use it 3 times in the manor i have and this is what i can expect I'm not impressed in anyway. i mean lets face it ive used it 3 times I damn near paid 4 grand for this thing i could have paid the neighbor kid 15 bucks x 3 and saved a few bucks. well lets see if sno-way hold with there warranty and see what hoops i have to jump through.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you had it to the dealer?

If it's new there's a 2 year warranty on your Hydraulics.

Sounds like a loose o-ring on the cylnder elbow.
  3. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

No I haven't yet I just noticed it today. But it is defiantly a Hole In the Cylinder (very small) like a pin hole. if you look at the cylinder from the side its almost at the mount right under the hose and 90 deg elbow. It's like the cylinder itself blew out and had a catastrophic failure.

Yes I bought this new.

I will say outside of the issues I'm having I am very impressed with the job this does so hopefully its just a lemon cylinder. I am happy with this plows and stacks lick a champ no complaints there especially for the size.
  4. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Could be defect in weld. Bet if it is they'll swap it out. After being a mechanic for fifteen years I can't begin to tell how many spankin' brand new shiny parts failed right out of the box. Good luck.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have not seen cylinders failing in that manner. More connem to see the inner nut the seals the oring in the fitting loosen and cause fluid loss under pressure.
  6. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

does that pin hole look like it was machined in? B/C i think most cylinders have a pin hole in the back for air to bleed out....the inner seal must be blown that holds the hydro back..again i could be completely wrong, b/c im not sure, but ill go look at my plow later....
  7. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

they'll fix it. then you will be happy. I've never had one problem with my v blade until this year. My v just turned 7:bday: and my mt hasn't had any issues. I broke a pin and thats it.
  8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Take the plow back to your dealer and have it looked at. If the cylinder is defective and you are within your warranty period it should be replaced no questions asked.
  9. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

and i do plow for $$$ and i try to be nice. I don't get paid by the hour so i do plow FAST. but:nod: careful
  10. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

It just sounds like when that cylinder was put together they messed the seals up on it. I haven't tried, but I'm sure you can get a cylinder rebuild kit if your able to do that sort of thing.

I know the cylinders are good. When I bought my plow last year, about 3 plows into the season I bent my drivers side cylinder. Still going strong with no leaking.
  11. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

well the pin hole is under the weld about a half inch.. it doesn't look machined to me as you look at the cylinder you see the 90 deg elbow feeding the cylinder directly behind that is where this is taking place. I'll drive the hour and a half out to the dealer and drop the plow off let them fix it less than a month old lolso its within the warranty..

Like i said before Over all I'm pleased with this plow we have had a few good snows here and it took it like a champ. on one occasion i did notice that when i had the blade straight the it turned while i was pushing snow but outside of that we have had snows up to 13 - 14 inches not including drifts in the drive this year and my jeep didn't break a sweat.

I have noticed that is does trip alot but I'm not in that big of a hurry so i haven't tried tightening it down.
  12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

By your description it sounds as if it is a bad weld on the cylinder. Take it back to the retailer and get it replaced under warranty.
  13. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Geez, "Snowworks". I understand your pretty pissed that your plow maybe, has some bugs to be worked out, but your here screamin' about the quality of the plow b/f you've even given the dealer a chance to verify/fix the issue.
    On occasion things will have problems.
    To me it sounds like a relatively minor problem that should be a simple warranty issue (at least it should be).
    Did you lose plowing time? Doesn't sound like it.
    Did you choose a dealer 1 1/2 hours away? Yes.
    Give the dealer a chance.
  14. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

sorry you take it as that... ive have said A LOT of times im happy with this plow so reading might have done you some justice in this case and yes if you mean being descriptive trying to get feed back from others that may have had this issue then i guess in those simple eyes im complaining.. i dunno thanks for your non helpful input i guess???
  15. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

yeah toby im thinking it was a overheating with the welding process or something im gonna got get it looked at in the morning
  16. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well, I went back and read the post for the 3rd time now and it still comes off as your really pissed off about the new plow having issues(which I can see your point) but I still think your really getting over ticked prematurely.
    The true test will be how your dealership handles it.
    In your post your making an assumption that they're gonna be a PITA about it.
    I've had many times where my problems where solved with no harrasment about how things happened.
    I have a customer of mine who has mentioned a phrase of his; something about"what do you get when you solve a really unhappy customers' problems-just a alot less of an unhappy customer"
    In a way I'm offering advice and trying to get a point across is that you sound pretty terse in this post but if your patient and don't go to the dealership w/ a "chip on your shoulder" you'll get alot farther.
    So no, I really don't consider this a useless reply.
    And if your wondering NO I don't own any Sno-Way products or work for them in any fashion.
  17. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I did read your posts over a couple of times and I guess in my "simple eyes" I see this as just a slight bit of overreacting to this.

I see in the first post here nothing but what Sno4u sees. You are pissed and you say nothing about liking the plow. The second post you do as with the third. 2 times does not constitute "A LOT of times saying you are happy" like you say. There was a lot of "complaining" in there.

I personally would NOT look at a pinhole as a "catastrophic failure". Your words not mine.

I have had a few things that were purchased that were just not right. You have to give them (Sno Way) a chance to fix the issue. I am sure they will make it right with you.

People on this site are very very helpful when trying to solve problems. Since you have all of 12 posts you may not have noticed it yet. Being descriptive is part of the process.

I apologize ahead of time for wasting your time with some more "non-helpful" input. I hope you get your problem straightened out.
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The difference between comedy and tragedy is time.

Truman said when he was mad at someone he wrote them a letter, then read it to himself the next morning, tore it up and threw it away.

I'm sure your dealer will get it straightened out without issue.
  19. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

lol yeah the dealer did get it fixed up but didnt have the part for replacement so i guess from what the guy said they cut the weld out and rewelded it (seems like it worked). Thanks to Toby he hit that dead on.

As far as the rest of the nonsence ive said far more to the good than to the bad. yes I was mad yes I'll get over it, Yes I ubderstand things break.. just didnt expectet it on the 3 rd time out especially with the fact i do a couple of drives and call it a night, but there was a great point brought up and I will be the first to admit that the "catastrophic failure" was just a tad bit of an over reaction lol

now okay on that note i just re read everything ive typed and i still dont get how you can take thatas me over complaing?? It looks to me to be exactly what I stated before me trying to explain what it was doing and what it looked like **shrugs**. LoL as far as my big 12 posts I just found this site so I guess I would have to start some where just as everyone eles has. Guess what its 13 now :)~

Thanks again for the help
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  20. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt blame you if you were pissed. even if the dealer did take care of it. spend four k for something and barely use it you shouldnt have to worry about it breaking at all. you shouldnt have to even need to go to the dealer never mind be concerned about the service. good service? great. but you shouldnt have to be there in the first place and it is still downtime and having it "fixed" but not necessarily in the condition a new plow should be in. i bought a couple vehicles like that new. take them back to dealer for warrantee repair. i was pissed.