1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3-port or 4-port :confused:

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nalegtx, Sep 7, 2010.

1. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

ok so when using eMatch for my truck, i am confused as to how you know what wiring harness your truck needs. How do you know if you need one or the other 3 or 4 port?. I don't have DRL.... see my signature, same truck (#2).................please someone give me a explanation on this, i am piecing together parts via craig's list and ebay for the truck side parts. Found a a nice MM2 just plow and headgear for $2,000 bucks 1 season old!!!!!!!!:confused:

2. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

4 port module is obsolete. the 3 port replaced it a few years back. on the 4 port 2 of the ports were for headlight wiring harness. the 3 port simply combines the left and right side headlight and side marker cables via 1 port.

3. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

thanks shorepower...thats all i was looking for...appreciate it. ia m going to buy a 3-port i found on ebay new in box for $75..does this seem too cheap to be true??? its item # 110583189847

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You can typically get them for $100 or less off the shelf.

5. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

Has anyone here installed their own Fisher on a dodge? or just installed any fisher on their own....I am a mechanic by trade and want to save some $$$$ and do it my slef. What do you all think?

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Fisher's website has all the wiring installation instructions and push plate installation instructions you will need, it's really not that hard if you are mechanically inclined, just be sure to take your time seeing how its your first install. Also the 3 port module uses a different headlight wiring harness from the headlights to the module than the 4 port uses so if your piecing things together make sure you get compatible parts, the control harness and 11 pin module to plow headlight harness are all the same

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I did my 02 GM. It was fairly straightforward. The real trick is taking the time to route the wires neatly. I think the only real advantage the dealer / installers have over the average mechanically inclined person, is they know from redundancy, what works & looks best on the wide array of trucks out there. The best peice of advice I can give you is to take your time, and follow the install guides even though most of it appears to be for the simple minded. If you buy used components, you can also download the installation guide for your specific kit & Truck. Read them over from start to finish before you touch your truck. follow it, then double check it once everything is in place. It wil save you from tearing it all apart.again, later on. If you need a hand locating them, just ask. One other thing, and this may've just been me, but some of the wording leaves some room for interpertation. If you get turned around, a quick search on here can prove to be very usefull.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  8. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

I installed all the wiring on my western myself. I had my dealer install the mount since it was January and I have no lift or heated garage to work in. I installed a used 4 port off of an 02 Dodge into a 2008 Chev Silverado. I bought the headlight harness from western, but after doing the install realized the only difference in harness is the factory headlight plugs/ connectors. All the isolation module does is turn off power to headlights and transfer to plow. Then returns power to truck headlights after plow is disconnected. You can still wire any plow lights on a seperate switch wired to a new fuse and just turn off the truck headlights yourself. After installing all the wiring and spending money on harnesses, I think the old school way would have worked just fine.

9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If u need some used fisher parts let me know Im not far from u. I have a complete new 3 port set up for ur truck too.

brad2500hd@aol.com

10. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

Thanks again to everyone i greatly appreciate it.........brad i'll let you know when i get there..i am picking up the mounts this weekend so let me get those installed and i will try and post some pics with progress...thanx again

11. brad96z28

The mounts Kind of stink to do on a 06 dodge 2500. Make sure to get the correct ones if u have a larime package.

12. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

I got 7170-2.....That's what the Fisher eMatch told me to get..........the part i don't understand is when i change to a laramie edition the mount part number stays the same. Now when you go and look at the parts list in the tech section of Fisher's website it list the two as 7170-1 and 7170-2 first being non laramie and the second just says ram 2500 06+

13. brad96z28

I was a bit confused a while back about them. -2 fits everything -1 fits everything except for larime. I laso belive -1 has been superseeded by the -2? When I say everything I mean 03 and up dodge 2500 3500

14. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

that's the impression i was getting...OK i feel better knowing someone else has the same feelings on this...we'll see Monday when i go to install them

15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Correct,up to 09',obviously the 10' changed

16. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

can't figure out why the push plate doesn't clear the bumper bracker...has like a small curl on the edge of the bumper bracket causing it to not clear...help!!!

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ummmm, yup, that might explain it. he he he he. Do you have the Install guide???

[​IMG]

18. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

yea but it doesn't say anything about clearance or the small curl at the end of the bracket.....i think i'm just gonna flaten it with a vice or a mallett.......i'll let you know...maybe take a pic first and post it

19. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

ok so i figured it out...i forgot to remove my bumper brackets from my bumper.....hahahha.....guess thats why you don't attempt a install at 11pm after working 10 hours....haha....but now it seems the passenger side push plate i purchased is bent.....gonna see if i can mount a plow from work and if not i guess i need new push plates....that's a bummer...

20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Are these new plates?Anythings possible but i've installed tons and haven't come across a bent plate,a few holes have been off a hair,Whats your C-C measurment?