1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 plug western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by exclusive, Jan 27, 2014.

1. exclusive

exclusive Member

Does anybody know if I can use a 2 wire ultra mount to move transport a 3 wire plow ultra mount

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You can couple it up to the truck with the ultramount but your cables won't work so you will have to high chain it. You will have no lights or functions on the plow.

3. exclusive

exclusive Member

thanks do you know if i can convert the plow to a 2 wire

4. mishnick

Conversion of the plow in this case is not practical. The new two wire multiplex plows have a decoder (plow module) and motor relay on the plow under a big plastic shroud. First the cost is prohibitive and then u must build a protective cover for the electrical. Cables and module would b about $700 - $1000 guessing) maybe more.

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It depends on witch 2 wire! Old relay style 2 plug or new fleet flex 2 plug.

6. mishnick

The only two wire setup that ever came on ultra was the multiplex, the other two wire was uni.

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Ultra mounts were all two wire relay system for the first year, at least. Same wiring as a Unimount. Plenty of them still around.

8. mishnick

"Ultra mounts were all two wire relay system for the first year" Ok, I stand corrected, if that is the case they all he needs to do is count the number of pins in the plugs. First look at the big cable plug that feeds the pump motor. This is the one with two big lugs. Tell us how many small pins are in that plug. If it's multiplex there will be two little ones in there too. Other options are that there are no small pins or one small pin. If there are two small pins we are back to "not practical" but if there are no small, or one small pin then count the pins in the second plug. That's the one that feeds the plow lights and control valves There are different possibilities of numbers and that would be critical. But this would be an inexpensive changeover as you would only need to change one harness on the plow. Let us know what you have?
    Another quick way to identify the plow is by the black plastic shroud. The multiplex version has a plastic shroud over the hydraulic unit, the older style has the motor and reservoir exposed.

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Ditto from cubicinches! So many times people assume 2 wire is fleet flex!

10. cubicinches

If it's a two wire relay system plow (which it likely is), you need a 26359 plow control harness and re-wire the lights with a 26377 headlight harness and you're done.

Even if it's a multiplex two wire plow, remove the plow module, relay, and battery/control harness. Install the 26359 plow control harness and a 21294 plow battery harness and it's a three plug plow... not really that complicated.

11. cubicinches

I see now you're looking to convert the plow from three plug to two plug, not the other way around, as I was describing. Sorry.

If the truck is a relay style two plug system, then you simply need a 61438, 9 pin plow control/light harness. That's it.

If this does happen to be a Multiplex two plug plow, then it does become much more complicated to convert to three plug.

12. mishnick

How do you know it's a 9 pin and not a 12? My book shows two possible versions for the two cable relay setup. Or do you know for sure because that's the only version that these early ultra / relay setups came with. Just don't want to send him for the wrong cables....

13. cubicinches

Twelve pin is for a two plug MVP... they made those also.

Anything else?

14. mishnick

15. cubicinches

Nope, You're not right.

Read carefully at the top of page 87 in your link.

16. mishnick

Yes I see that page 87 is MVP, now you look at the top of page 71 and see that it is NOT mvp but it is 12 pin. They call that revision 8 and later..... This is great fun, who is going to learn something today.....

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

bottom line is you need to know more from the OP to sell him anything. but yes there are plenty of relay wiring straight plows with 12 pin harnesses. the most common would be the 03-06 chevy's, but also some 99+ Dodges, and mishnick, since you're in the Great White North, I think there may be more trucks that would be than here.

18. cubicinches

I'm not aware of there ever being a twelve pin Ultramount straight blade... Or at least not that I've ever seen. The twelve pin Unimount harnesses used separate power and common wires for each high and low beam lamp, whereas the nine pin harness shared the power and common for both lows and both highs, therefore having less pins. As far as I know, the twelve pin was an earlier set-up, and used only on Unimounts. That being said, the only harness I've ever used to convert a three plug plow Ultramount to two plug, is the 61438 nine pin harness.

19. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Like nealy said there are many 12 pin relay straight blade ultras. They were relay wiring for more than the first year and like the 12 pin unimounts they had to use the same 12 pin on the ultras otherwise how else would they work until the ISO setup came out.

20. mishnick

I guess my point was that it's possible that it could b either one, 12 or 9 pin straight blade setup. All I wanted was to b sure he got the right cable suggestion the first time. When I looked it up the parts lists asks for 9 or 12. Perhaps only we here in "the great white north" had that version. I don't know. The parts list does not specify Cdn or US specs like cars do.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014