1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 plug ultramount questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselboy01, Aug 27, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I just picked up a truck with a 3 plug harness and a ultramount undercarriage, no plow or controller tho. The last owner ran straight blades and I plan on running a MVP this year. My question is do I need to buy a new harness for the truck to run a V plow or is there any kind of adapter?

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If you're going to run an MVP (three plug), you'll just need to replace your three pin control harness with a seven pin control harness (#26346).

If you're going to run an MVP Plus (two plug Multiplex), you'll need a Multiplex control harness (#28587), A Multiplex truck side battery cable (#42014), and ... If you have a four port isolation module, you'll also need a #44658 adapter to run the Multiplex control harness with the four port module.

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, you wouldn't want to do the wiring and control until you see which type of Vplow you end up getting. If you're lucky you'll get the wiring and control you need with the plow you get.

4. dieselboy01

Thanks for the info guys! I'll start looking for plow sides now then!

5. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

I've got a good assortment of used western wiring to go any way you want . Give me a call before you buy new, John 419 359 0965. Usedsnowplowsupply.com

6. dieselboy01

Do you only have the wiring or do you have plows too?

7. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

I have both wiring & used plows. John

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is an adapter to go from V control to straight blade but not the other way. You are condemned to installing a new control harness.
    Sounds like you will be looking for a used V plow? There are three kinds of Ultra-mount V plows out there.

Ultra-mount was sold with the two plug analog (non multiplex) or relay system for a while but they are very old and becoming harder to find. They can be converted to three wire easily though so if you get a smoking deal on one in good shape it would be worth considering

The second non-compatible ultra-mount is the new MVP+. They also have two plugs at the grill but they are not practical to convert. They are the newest version and they have no control plug but rather just two wires (integrated into the power cable) that control all the plow functions. If you bought one of these you would need a new control harness, multiplex controller and a new power cable with the multiplex connector, (all truck side) the relay comes out for this model.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. dieselboy01

Thanks Mishnick, I'm looking for the newer style MVP. I wonder if I would be better off buying new VS buying a used plow side and then all the harnesses.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Vs go for around 3-4 used. 1k for the truck side.

New plow is 5-6k and include truck side

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

A brand new (MVP+ {the + means multiplex}) plow will come with the multiplex control cable and power cable so no need to buy any extra cables. Since you already have the ultra-mount, mount on the truck you will only have to buy the new handheld / joystick controller and possibly an adapter (if you have the four port isolation module). If your truck has the three port isolation module the control harness that comes with the new multiplex plow will plug right in. See page 3 of this link for the adapter I am talking about, it doesn't show the part # but I am sure someone here will know it from memory. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/44780.04_052407.pdf

12. dieselboy01

Pm sent John.