1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 Plug Ultra Mount to 2 Plug Fleet Flex on Superduty

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sns250, Nov 24, 2013.

1. sns250

sns250 Member

Ok I am going to try and explain this the best I can.

I have a 2008 Ford F250 Diesel that had a Regular 3 Plug Ultramount Pro Plow. Everything works perfect.

I came across a deal I could not pass up and purchase a MVP Plus with fleet flex that came off of a 2012 GMC 2500. I talked to my local dealer last week about what I needed to install to make it work.

They told me that everything already installed on the truck can stay, I need to add the new battery cable from the MVP, and also the new controller wire that runs into the cab. Everything else I was told was interchangable. Well today I added the 2 cables the straight blade still works perfect when I hook it up. When I go under the hood and switch over the 4 wire plug to the fleet flex control system the headlights on the MVP come on but I do not have turnsignals, and I also have no power at the controller.

I was under the impression that I could switch between these old plow and the new one the only difference is I would have to switch the 4 wire plug that controls which controller I use.

Any ideas? I guess they are calling for some snow on Tuesday so I would like to get it figured out so I can use the new V plow.

Thanks

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Not gonna work. The fleet flex is muliplex wiring, has computer on plow that has to talk to computer under hood. Also, solenoid is out on plow and has power as soon as it is hooked up. Ultra uses solenoid under the hood.

3. sns250

sns250 Member

I new that the fleet flex wiring was different and I believe that is why I had to change over the main battery cable. Right now the truck has 2 battery cable plugs, 1 from the straight blade wiring, and one from the v plow wiring. The truck has the 3 Port Blue Module from the straight blade, it also has 2 sets of controller wire, the one from the straight blade (6 wire in the cab) and the one from the mvp (4 wire in the cab). The new fleet flex controller has 2 4 wire plugs. The end plug is plugged into the fleet flex battery cable, and the middle plug is the one that needs to be switched depending on which plow I wanted to hook up.

I am thinking it might be a module problem, but I am not sure. Basically all the fleet flex wiring is on the truck the only part that I am trying to use for both setups is the 11 prong truck side wire that is for the lights.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. sns250

sns250 Member

The adapter that he made was just to avoid the plugging and unplugging of the one connector. In the drawing there are 2 pieces that needed added with the 3 port module to the setup to make it work which is the 2 prong battery cable and the controller harness. Both are installed but when I make the 4 port connector switch to go to the fleet flex system I have no controller and also no parking lights. The headlight do come on.

I am at a loss, according to reprimand drawing everything is installed correctly.

And it is not the plow cause I hooked it up to our other truck that has a wide out and if works perfect.

6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Did you hook up the positive wire to a fuse inside the cab?? Or even to the same wire your straight blade inside harness is hooked to?? Somewhere on that new control harness on the end that goes inside the cab should be a red wire. When that's hooked up, your controller will get power and the iso mod will illuminate the park lights. It's like a trigger wire or something.

7. kimber750

Ok after looking at the diagram for both setups I see one difference. Your 11 pin for the non fleet flex has a Black w/ orange that goes to solenoid. This on the #2 pin. On fleet flex set up this wire goes into the control harness. This also happens to be the ground for parking lights on the fleet flex.

8. sns250

sns250 Member

Kimber,

That sounds like it might be the problem. Can you post a copy of the diagrams so I can see them? Also is there a possible solution to the problem? My dealer this morning is convinced there is a broken wire somewhere. They are saying the light harness is the same on both setups which is the opposite of your findings.

9. kimber750

I am guessing you have the adapter to plug the fleet flex into the 4 port. On this adapter is a single connector with black w/ orange wire. Is this wire connected the light harness going out to the plow? By the looks of the diagram this connection will also need to switched when changing from fleet flex to non fleet flex.

10. sns250

sns250 Member

My module is a 3 port number 29760 so I didn't think I needed the adapter?

11. sns250

sns250 Member

Ok the black with orange wife on the old setup is going into the 4 prong plug that needs switched. That wire is part of the old controller wire. The fleet flex wiring just has a black wire in that pin possision

12. kimber750

Should still have that single wire connector that needs to be switched.

13. sns250

sns250 Member

Does the adapter kit make this switch or do I need to make it on my own?

14. kimber750

Should just have to connect it to which ever control harness you are using at the time.

15. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

It sounds like Kimber is talking about this plug..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. kimber750

That's it. When switching control harness plugs you need to switch this also.

17. sns250

sns250 Member

That plug is not on the fleet flex controller harness. Is that what the adapter is for?

18. kimber750

I am not sure. You may be better off getting a hold of repo. He has a lot more experience with this setup.

19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

It was on my fleet flex control harness.... That, and a red wire were sticking out loose.

20. kimber750

Yes fleet flex has one by the iso. Non fleet flex has one by the iso and another where control harness plugs into light harness.