1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 plow choices...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by orange toys, Nov 24, 2009.

1. orange toys

orange toys Member

I have a choice between 3 brands of plows to purchase to put on my on 2500HD. The 3 are Meyer, Hiniker, Western. What do you all think would be best on my truck? I would be trying to focus on more commercial parking lots. Please give me your input and ask a question if needed.
  2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

When you say you have a choice to buy one of these three, does that mean that these three plows are the ones with dealers closest to you?

Dealer support is a must, as many will tell you.

I think your going to get a few varied opinions just because some like Meyer, some like Hiniker, and some like Western..

Good luck :salute:
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Here's how the order would go for me. Western, Hiniker, and Meyer. But that depends on a lot. We have a good Western dealer here. That helps a lot.
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Agreed. A plow is worthless if you cant get parts for it locally in a reasonable amount of time.
  5. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

For me it's Western all the way, and dealer support is a must, then Hiniker and Meyer last.
  6. zeek

zeek Member

I agree with everyone also...Western first....why do you ask....reliability, built stronger, better support, better springs, and easier to take off and put on. Meyer has changed alot this year though I must say, but I didn't want to find out. I like staying in my truck where it's warm, not in the cold working on my pump.
  7. I only have 3 dealers near me. Western, Sno-Way and Arctic
    I went Western, Because of the Dealer.
  8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I have a used Meyers because it came with the truck. I wouldn't buy another one though. They say that they are easier to work on than the other plows. I would like it better if I didn't have to work on it so much. Your best bet would be to read all the back posts and get a better idea of what the whole site thinks is best. Good luck.
  9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive owned a couple of westerns and they always did fine, The last plow i had was a meyer E60, it worked well but at least twice a year i had to change the lift ram base o-ring, not much fun when your in the middle of a storm. Ive never owned a hiniker so i have no idea. Good luck
  10. orange toys

orange toys Member

the western and the hiniker dealer are the same, and meyer is different. both are in a resonable distance from me.
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Ask other plowers in your area how the delaer service is.
    Then make a choice
  12. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a Hiniker 7.5' standard and it's tough as nails. Price may helpe dicate your choice. For me it would be Hiniker or Western & I wouldn't consider Meyer. I really like the new design of Western attachment (Ultramount). You remove the cups and you hardly know you have a plow bracket on. Hiniker could use an improved way you connect the plow harness to the truck also.
  13. orange toys

orange toys Member

The ultramount is a big reason im really considering the western, Im thinking about spending the money on the MVP. The V is only 1k more than the straight, bought I need to figure out if the V will benefit me.
  14. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

Western plowand i would go with a MVP, straight blades suck, unless u have wings
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Like everybody else said get a plow that comes with good dealer suport.
  16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The Hiniker has Direct Lift....

The others don't...

17. orange toys

orange toys Member

Direct Lift?
  18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

No darn chain and fulcrum....

Instant lift, Instant float, and easier stacking.

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't "short chain" a direct lift...cause you can. And that's definitely not a selling point for a chain lift plow.
  19. orange toys

orange toys Member

this will sound dumb but can you try and explain what you mean more?
    why doesn't hiniker advertise that, and western does?
  20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Hear is a picture of a Hiniker direct lift and a picture of a Western chain lift.

direct lift.jpg

chain lift.jpg