1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 or 4 leafs for K10 and 8' Fisher?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by asnowsquall, Oct 3, 2001.

1. asnowsquall

asnowsquall Guest

I own a 1976 Chevy K10 which has a total of 4 leafs on the front end. I'm going to be installing an older 8 foot Fisher plow that I purchased for $625 complete. The truck it came off of had 4 leafs on each side. I've seen many trucks of my vintage that have 3 on each side. What do you guys recommend? Leaf shop has a pair of 4 leafs for $260. JcWhitney has a pair of 3 leafs for $170.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

4 leafs, that is a heavy plow.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Spend the extra $$$ and put the 4 leafs on.

Fishers are good plows, but as Dino points out a bit on the heavy side. Nothing wrong with that, that '76 should handle it just fine.
  4. asnowsquall

asnowsquall Guest

Picked up the 4 leaf sytem and hardware today. $310 total. Where is my airgun, I need to blow the smoke off my VISA card.
    I let you know how it goes. Shouldn't be to bad as the truck is clean (from AZ) and I've used bar and chain oil on it every season so the U bolts aren't even rusty.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is not a bad price for the complete setup. Make sure that you torque everything and then after a few days of drving recheck. I have seen ubolt nuts loosen up. That could be ugly cruising down the highway.
  6. asnowsquall

asnowsquall Guest

I asked the place I purchased the springs from, a local spring shop, about Torque spec's and they said they use an 1/2" air impact wrench that is good for about 400 ft lbs. then they use a boxed end wrench on it after that, sometimes with a breaker bar. All I could picture was some of these dump trucks in town with oversized loads trying to avoid accidents. hhhmmmmm.... why did the axle come off? Seems like a good way to test the stress/strain curve to me. Am I being over critical? Can you use loc-tite on the threads to prevent them from loosening after they are torqued to the proper spec. I'm thinking of trying this, mark the nut and u-bolt, and then check it from time to time to see if it moves. Anyone else have ideas on this?