1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3" of snow on glare ice - Now what?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TimInNH, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TimInNH

TimInNH Junior Member

Hi -

I'm new to this forum and thought this would be the perfect place to ask this question. I have a 600 ft inclined driveway that was/is glare ice, that wasn't sanded enough, prior to getting a few inches of snow today. Now, because of not having enough sand on the ice to begin with, its extremely slippery with the snow on top. I tried some sand after the fact, but its not doing much at all. My question is, would adding some salt, melt down the snow enough to adhere it to the glare ice below, and give me some traction? Or, does anyone have any ideas on how I can deal with the driveway now? Any help would really be appreciated....
    PS - Unfortunately, I don't have a plow, only a snowblower...

- Tim

2. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

600 feet with a snow blower, you're a toughrer man than me. Get all the loose stuff off the top and load it up with salt. Adding salt on top of the snow isn't gong to do much of anything to ice under the snow.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You definately need to get the snow off. Then salt/sand mix. If it is really light and fluffy snow a leaf blower will work to get the snow off.

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

if you put down ~300# it should losen itup where youre snowblower will take care of it. you'll just have to put a minor amount when youre done blowing to help with re-fereeze

depending on the temp. if it is colder than ~15* you'll have better luck with a calcium ro mag or potasium chloride but try to get the biggest granulate (size) you can so it has enough weight to it to "burn" itself under the snow and little ice

i tried cattle feed salt one year on walks to help with the mess in stores and it worked fine as long it was used as a re-freeze preventative but it did'nt have enough weight to it to carry it through the snow because it was almost as fine as table salt

EDIT: i should add. as long as it's a self propelled 2 stage blower. and it would help if it had "ice breaker" auger flight's (which is the serated auger).
    and ALL THE SAND INTHE WORLD WILL NOT MELT ICE it has to have some type of chemical ie. salt or mag or calcium etc.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Would the town help you out and send up a truck with some sand and salt mix??
    I would try them seeing as how you are a taxpayer...I know...private property and all, but it's worth a try...maybe they would tell you to go down to the town yard and help yourself to salt/sand mix...just a thought...

I think if you hit it with enough rock salt it would eventually melt the ice down.
    I'm no ice removal "pro" but rock salt has worked well for a couple of my accounts.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Hire a professional snow guy at the start of the season.

600' with a snowblower don't seem to be working for you.

You may be one who argues plow guys charge to much and yet here you are asking advice after the fact.

A 600' drive means you have some land. If it is a farm I would imagine you had a implement to deal with this. I guess it is either just a lot of land and/or a really big hou$e.

I bet you would pay a pro now to have it clean though.

Load it up with salt all the way down to the end. walk back to the starting point and break out your ice chopper and shovel. If it is truly solid ice besides waiting for spring I see it as your only hope.

Why are you using sand to start with and not salt?

Have you ever seen sand at the beach when it gets wet?
    Try a more coarse material for traction.

This is not meant to upset you or anything but maybe some pre-thinking about things would help in the future.

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Powerjoke has the right idea. To answer YOUR the poster's) question,.....No.... te salt will not melt the snow down enough...You don't want it too. The way salt works on ice, it does not melt it from the top down. When you apply the granules of salt, they burn right through the snow and solids. They also burn through the layer of ice to the surface and THEN continue melting. This salt then melts laterally UNDER the layer of ice and spreads. It then breaks the surface adhesion of the ice to hard surface (pavement/concrete). It basically then melts theice from the bottom up.
    This is why municipalities salt DURING a storm - to stop the bonding and keeping the stuff broke up into a slurry for batter traction. Then, when the stuff is scraped for the final time, it scrapes clean (they of course also put down additional salt at this time to stop hot spots).
    Anyway, my advice would be just like powerjokes.....salt the heck out of it, then proceed.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Good news, Tim. You've only got 3" to deal with and according to weather.com your outside temp is +17. Get the snow off with your blower and then throw down some de-icing material. Get the expensive stuff at Home Depot or Lowes (I won't bore you with what it's consisted of). Put down a moderate amount and you will be good to go in a matter of hours.

:drinkup:

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hummm posted once and has not been back??????

1. Hire a professional to plow it.

2. Do not let fresh snow fall on your icy drive.
    Take care of the ice when it occurs

3. Is this a paved drive or a gravel drive??
    If it is gravel stay away from ice melt/salt..
    It will cause more problems that it solves.
    If it is paved, clear the snow then apply an ice melt.

4. If you are going to do it your self, get to work clearing the snow with your snowblower then Spread Sand.or a sand salt if it is paved..

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

11. TimInNH

TimInNH Junior Member

Wow, thanks to all of you with the great ideas! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, SnoFarmer.
    GL&M, actually, I have a 5 ft. front mounted snowblower on my tractor, so that is much easier than my old standby walk-behind snowblower...
    Unfortunately, because working late 2 nights in a row, getting the snow off the drive, didn't happen. But, what I did last night when I got home was to just scatter some Vaporizer ice melt pellets in my tire tracks (where I carefully made it up the driveway, without spinning out). And, it actually did help some with the traction. I was able to brake gently, without going into a full slide like I did the morning before...
    The really odd thing was, when I got home from work tonight, someone sanded/salted half way up the driveway! (MOWBIZZ, maybe you were on to something with the town, although I didn't call anyone). The funny thing is that this has never happened in the 8 years we've lived here. Nice surprise to come home to, for sure...
    Reaper, normally the snowblower does a really good job on the drive. But, I just don't have a good way to sand the drive, yet (I'm thinking of a sand spreader for the 3 point hitch...). And, I usually sand, instead of salting, since it has always done a good enough job. The mistake I made was not sanding it enough this time around, before we got the snow (my ******* mistake...)
    And, now we've got another storm coming for Friday that may be a mix of snow etc. I'm thinking I might stock up on the salt, just in case. And, with my scraper blade (yes, a plow would be much better...), I'll try to take the upper part of the drive, down to the ice, after I snowblow it and the salt the snot out of it.
    Hey, thanks again for all the information and sorry for the longwinded message.........

- Tim

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

lots of calcium chloride. and sand ofter u get the snow off.

13. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

If you get a good amount of salt on after the snow is removed, the scraper blade should be able to get rid of most of the ice after it breaks up. Makes me feel better that you got a big blower. :) I had 600 feet with a small walk in my mind. :eek: Good luck with it.

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Jeez, it just occured t me, with 600 ft of drive, is this all concrete or blacktop? Because if it is gravel, nevermind my advice...it won't make any difference. If it IS hard surface though (concrete or blacktop), it WOULD work without taking the snow off first....either way.:)