1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 miles of dirt road

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AndrewID, Oct 16, 2015.

1. AndrewID

AndrewID Junior Member
    from Idaho

Hello everyone,

Looking at moving up to the mountains of Idaho. I'll have about 3 miles of windy dirt road to plow, with up to 4 feet of snowfall a year. Trying to figure out what I'll need to do to keep the road open in the winter! Truck and plow? Tractor and plow? Tractor and snowblower? Any thoughts on what might be most effective?

Also, looking at buying an '06 F250 6.0L 4wd diesel for $17,000, any opinions on this as a plow truck?
  2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

6.0L diesels are junk, thats my opinion.
  3. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Well lets not really turn this into a 6.0 thread, as most of the haters will turn this into a 3 page fight. Problems with 6.0's and most trucks is you dont know how they have been maintained. If you dont haul big trailers consistently I wouldnt bother with a diesel.

As for your road, any plow will do the job. I suggest keeping up with it through the storm and maybe have a tract on standby to push things back through the season if you get a bunch of snow. If not just make sure you keep the sides pushed back farther than you think so it doesnt get crowded at the end of the season.

And just another note, 6.0's are great trucks if they have been treated right and not beaten constantly. They take a certain type of driving to not baby them and not beat the snot out of them. Personally I know my way around the trucks and would buy the cheap ones all day everyday because people get scared of them. They bring it to the dealer and get reemed. Its a simple design and is relatively easy to work on minus having to pull the heads should you ever need to.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since you have 3miles of road that you probably have to maintain year round I'd get a tractor, 50hp min, loader, 4X4, cab w/heater, high flow remote hydros.
    If you have space to push your windrows/piles back a Plow would work, it's
    you have drifting problems get a V Plow.
    If you have limited space for snow then I'd add a blower to remove them as needed or you can used a bucket.

Ford 6.0 have been known to be problematic, if you know how to remedy issues they're good motors. $17K seems high unless the truck is extremely clean and no more than 100k miles. If you just want a pickup to push snow with get a gas motor, no gelling, easier starting (unless diesel has been plugged in), less headaches if the truck is going to sit most of the time and less money.
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

buy a chevy 2500hd
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Do not buy the 6.0 diesel. They have to many known issues. Junk! A gas truck will work for you if not towing heavy loaded. If you have your heart set on a diesel buy a duramax with Allison. The resale on a GM is always more than a ford.

I made the mistake buying diesel in 3 of my trucks 2 duramax and 1 power stroke for plowing. Waste of extra money and more to maintain and repair. I love my diesels but not necessary for plowing.

Good luck with your purchase.
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

X2, cheapest option would be a farmall 706-1066 with a 8-10' 3 point blower. 4wd is not necessary with tractors, put chains on the back tires and your fine. If your set on a plow buy a v. As far as trucks any 3/4 ton or more is fine. Ford 6.0 is not bad 05-07, avoid 03-04. 9/10 6.0 haters never had one, their brothers wife's best friends ex husbands third cousin had one and he had issues when he treated it like a car.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You hit the nail on the head, those motors need to be run hard and the same could be said aboot the 6.4 too
  10. AndrewID

AndrewID Junior Member
    from Idaho

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to skip the diesel then, and look for gas - I won't be towing heavy loads very often, if at all.
  11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't imagine trying to do 3 miles of driveway with a tractor and blower. I thought the mountains of Idaho got more then 4 ft per year. We had an 04 ford 6.0 it was good for a while, we had replaced all 8 injectors with injectors from the ford dealer cost $5500. throughout the spring and summer we had 4 injectors go bad taken care of under warranty. We just traded it off on a new duramax. With all that said I would recommend a gas truck and v plow, maybe tire chains on the truck depending on how bad the driveway is.
  12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

For the first year, you could hire someone to clear it for you, and watch how they do it ??

I'd have a v plow for snow, and a loader to take care of the regrading and fun stuff otherwise....Thumbs UpThumbs Up
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I also would stay away from a 6.0. If it was me I would get a 3/4 ton truck (gas or diesel doesn't really matter) and put at least an 8.5' V plow, preferably a 9.5' V plow. You could do it with a straight blade but, three miles is a long push for a pickup and just to be safe during heavy wet storms I think the V would easily pay for its self. I'm not sure where you are located but, I personally like Fisher and Boss. Snow Dogg and Western are also good plows. What ever you buy make sure they have good dealer support.
  15. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

The old truck is cool, If I lived closer I would by for a toy. I know this is still a useful truck and would be good for that 3 miles of road. I have a 1967 Reo comet airport snow blower with 3300 hundred miles. I don't use it but love it.

Sometimes they have a Reo show down at the lake front it gets all kind of eye's.
  16. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Agreed!!!! 2004 F550, bought new. 70k plus miles. Minor fixes recommended by Ford and my mechanic. Runs like a champ. Hauls anything I put in her. Take care of your truck and it will take care of you........... regardless of what motor is in it!
  17. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

But yes, to answer your original question, and to agree with most on here..... A 3/4 ton or 1 ton gasser with a V plow will be more than enough for what you need it for. Good luck!
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Other than claiming the 6.0 can be a good motor, you might want to listen to this guy. He's knows more about your area and mountains than anyone else so far.

LOL, I had 3, the 3 most expensive trucks to keep on the road I have ever owned. They were worked, they were maintained. They were all crap. And before you say it, I have 4 7.3s all with 100-200K on them, and they are not half the cost to keep on the road that my 6.0s were with far fewer miles.
  19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I liked my (3) 6.0s, missed the sound.

Sure I blew one up and Ford did a buyback but I would buy another one if the right deal came along.
  20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The key word is "can", I know several people that have good luck with '05-07's and others that had issues. The only difference was how the trucks were driven and used.

Idaho is nice, have friends in the Sandpoint, Boise, Victor, IF and McCall.

You may be the "King" of the east coast but I'm the "Rocky Mountain King"..... :rolleyes: