1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 issues 05 f-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chrisd, Oct 25, 2006.

1. chrisd

chrisd Member
    from buffalo

I Have Three Problems With My 05 F-350

1. Something Is Vibrating Under The Floor On The Drivers Side. Typically Happens When Your Driving And You Hit A Bump In The Road.
    Any Body Have A Similar Problem Or An Idea What It Might Be?????

2. The Truck Pulls To The Right. I Have Done The Obvious Things Like Check Tire Pressure, Get The Front End Aligned. Those Both Seem To Check Out Ok. It Started To Pull After I Rotated The Tires. I Know Tire Need To Find A Wear Pattern But That Was 1800 Miles Ago. Any Thoughts What That Could Be I Have Bfg Tko's On It.

Has Anyone Done Any Thing To Their Front Ends. I Put Timbrens And 2.5 Skyjacker Leveling Kit In It. I Still Don't Like How The Front End Handles My 8 Ft X Blade. It Does Have The 6.0 In It. Any Suggestions On A Heavier Coil Spring??????? Some One Once Told Me About Using A Coil From A 450 Or 550. The Dealer Doesn't't Know Much About That And I Wonder How Much It Raises The Front End.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Thanks

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

check ball joints . i bet the noise is the sway bar link and or bushings attaching sway bar to frame

john

3. chrisd

chrisd Member
    from buffalo

Ball Joints At 28000 Miles????? Is It Possible

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just bought an 06 F250 SD and when I go over bumps I hear a rattle towards the rear end, sounds like a loose spare tire. As far as the truck drifting, to me it sounds like a bad tire. Tires can pull to one side or another, in some cases pretty extreme. I'm not sure what to say about the front end. If I'm understanding you correctly you say it sags a little? My 06 has the 5200lb front springs and my 8'6 Fisher Extreme V hardly moves the front end, it does sag a little but only an inch or so. Check to see what front springs you have, I beleive they come in 4600lb, 5200lb and 5600lbs.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Believe it or not , yes you may have a bad ball joint.
    Older Ford plow trucks can average 30K between changes. I have talked to about 4 owners with plow trucks and they all noticed the same mileage between repairs.
    The lift kit may not be able to handle the added weight of a plow either.

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know....can you put F-350, 450, or 550 springs on a F-250? :confused:

7. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

springs

If you want to upgrade your springs you can go to your local spring shop and get a add a leaf or have them get you a heavier spring set.

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I will let you see my warranty receipt......New Front Ball Joints, as well as front hubs, 10,000 miles on my 04 f350 after a reallllll light winter with minimal snow. 10,000 miles

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats great to hear:cry:

10. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

05+ has coils, not springs.

11. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

thr 05s and up are solid axle front ends, not a ball joint problem in this case..check the shocks, sway bar etc..could be some thing when the leveling kit was done.....does your plow mount bolt to the frame with the sway bar????.double check everything!..The 05+ front ends are heavier duty then the previous years due to the coils, we have an 8'6 on our 05 with the BDS leveling kit and the truck doesnt sag at all! The pulling problem I would also guess to be a tire now that they are rotated, usually back to front in a criss cross , RR to LF, LR to RF etc, you would notice it pulling to that side..look for a bulge in the tire etc..And you can swap the 350 springs in the truck should raise the truck 1.5 inches or so..The rear has axle blocks in the 350 that you could use also...let us know how it works out
    *** Also anyone with an 04 and older truck if you are going to replace the ball joints buy this kit-
    http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/...fo&PartID=286946&siteid=214083&catalogid=3670
    10 times better than stock due to the fact that they are greasable!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  12. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

springs

Yeah i know i have a 03 and a 06, his signature says he has a 04' so i figured he was asking about that one.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, I am not a mechanic so I might be an idiot here, but I just looked under my '05 350 and I could sware that there are upper and lower ball joints on mine. Also, SD's have had solid axles up front since at least '99.

Ball joints are a problem for Ford. I've had 3 sets, one at 19K, one at 56K another at 78K. Like was stated--don't get the crap Ford sells, get greaseable joints and grease them. Regularly.

For the drift, is it when braking or just going up the road? First try rotating tires, if not, then get an alignment. If it's when braking, try new pads or if those are good switch the pads from side to side. Could even be the steering gearbox, but my money is on tires if it happens all the time.

The springs are the same, you can put 7K# springs on it if you want. I'm upgrading my 350 to 6k springs shortly. That LoPro is a little heavy for the 5400#'s currently on it.

14. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

I agree Ball Joints are noted to go out on the F250 & 350's , I had mine changed.

15. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

absolutely correct but with the coil design the ball joints were suppose to last..by solid I mean no more leafs..I have 52k on my 03 stock set according to the first owner they were never replaced... :dizzy: But after ths winter she will be getting some greaseable ones...Check everything, make the dealer look at it thouroughly....it is under warranty...Good luck keep us posted...Mark Oomkes, F350 snowman lets see some pics of that rig!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  16. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

Does anybody here know if I can get a heavier set of springs for my f350 crew cab.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know the rating on your current springs? I am going to try the 6K for my LoPro and see if that works.

If I remember correctly, there are 5200, 5400, 5600, 6000, 6500 and 7000# ratings. Not completely sure on the 5200. I used to have a list of the part #'s not sure what happened to it. They will fit any truck with the new front ends. I got mine brand new from e-bay for $80 including shipping from a member here or there. They are quite inexpensive surprisingly.

18. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

Mark thanks for the response. My 350 currently has 6000# rated springs on it. It really sags with the plow on it. Are there really 7000# springs available for the05 350 ? I called the Ford dealer and they told me they wern't aware of springs any heavier than 6000#. Please let me know !!

19. COBBETTS AUTO

COBBETTS AUTO Junior Member

Vibration On 05 Forg Fseries

ITS NOT THE BALL JOINTS AT ALL ITS THE STABLIZER SHOCK, THERE IS A TSB BY FORD ON THE VIBRATION AND ALL YOUR SYMTOMS SO THE STABLIZER SHOCK:waving: NEED TO BE REPLACED AND THE PROBLEM WILL GO AWAY NOT A BIG DEAL....BY THE WAY IM A MECHANIC....:dizzy: :dizzy: :waving:

20. COBBETTS AUTO

COBBETTS AUTO Junior Member

Vibration On 05 Forg Fseries

ITS NOT THE BALL JOINTS AT ALL ITS THE STABLIZER SHOCK, THERE IS A TSB BY FORD F250 &F350 ON VIBRATION CONCERNS OVER BUMPS ETC HAVE AN UPDATED STABLIZER SHOCK NEED TO BE REPLACED AND THE PROBLEM WILL GO AWAY NOT A BIG DEAL, IT'S COVERED BY YOUR 3YR / 36,000 MILE WARRANTY....BY THE WAY IM A MECHANIC....:dizzy: :dizzy: :waving: